Young guinea pig jumping when touched

ChloelouiseT31

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya I recently got 2 piggies that are now about 9-10 weeks old. One of them doesn’t seem afraid, she’ll happily let you feed her, sniff you, come to you and eats and eats no end! Comes out of her hidey house more than the other when we’re around, but when she’s in her run and anyone tries to stroke her she jumps and flips about .. i’ve checked her fur and I can’t see any trouble with fungal or mites but I’m not sure if she’s just a piggy who isn’t keen on being touched. Its the first time i’ve had guinea pigs so any advice would be great thankyou

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It is normal for piggies to not want to be touched and they can jump about, kick out, run off when touched.
As they are new piggies though, it is always wise to have them vet checked anyway, particularly if they are breeder/pet shop piggies.

hrsrdr

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some piggies just aren't keen on touching! If they're new, they're still getting used to you too, which can explain some of the jumpiness. It's better to hold off on any unnecessary petting and touching for a week or two until they get more comfortable in their new home. Sitting near the cage, poo picking, and feeding are things you can do until the end of the two week period

Free Ranger

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Even the friendliest piggies will try to dodge being stroked or picked up - your young ones might just be more acrobatic. My fat old boy couldn't jump or flip even if he wanted to but he's still not keen on being caught! It doesn't mean they are in pain... their instinct is just to be fearful. When you approach they probably think, "This is it! I'm going to die, I'm going to DIE, they're going to EAT ME... ooooh lettuce!"

Eddie & Elvis

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Elvis is like this. He's quite happy to come over, take food from me and sometimes even hop up onto my lap (only if there food :)) ) but if I try to touch him, especially on his back, he jumps and runs off. I accept he doesn't enjoy strokes so I let him be :)

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thankyou! I’ve got 4 children and obviously their natural instinct is to try and touch them as well so i’ll have to keep telling them to leave her be x
Oh. Be careful with little ones wanting to touch her.. . It's normal for piggie to run and hide. . Mine do. Lol

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If they’ve been there less than a week I would first give them time to settle into their new home before handling. And floor time I would perhaps consider holding off for two weeks while they settle their hierarchy.