• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Young Guinea Pig Laying On Its Side Twitching. Has Upper Respiratory Infection...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyCat

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I took him to an emergency animal clinic Sunday as he was not eating and barely moving. We got some anti-biotics for him, it's baytril chewable, 25ml every 12 hours. We were told to mix a little orange juice to make it taste better. He started to eat a lot more after a day.

BUT 3 days later I have found him laying on his side, twitching a little. Breathing is less than usual. I called a day time vet, they suggested calling the clinic I originally took him to because they couldn't say over the phone if it was worth bringing him in. That other clinic was closed until tonight( it's morning here in the U.S. )

At this point is there nothing I can do? I hope if he is dying that it will happen soon so he won't suffer anymore. I'm sitting next to him right now petting him and talking to him a little.

This sucks a lot. First guinea pig out of 8 that has had this upper respiratory infection. We only got him from Petsmart a few weeks ago :/

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sending hugs and squeaks from my piggys at this sad time. I am useless when it comes to health advice but I hope he gets better soon! :(

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I am very sorry! HUGS!

It doesn't sound good and your piggy's body may be closing down; fitting can unfortunately happen in the process. Sadly, depending on the strain, URI can kill. :(

You are doing great. Just keep him warm and comfy. You can place a bowl of steaming water next to the cage to help ease the breathing. Bed his head and upper body a little higher than his body to make him more comfy. :(

GrumpyCat

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I think he just died :(

he appeared to be gasping. not breathing anymore.

RIP Smore, no longer suffering

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
BIG HUGS

I am ever so sorry that you didn't have more time and that his treatment didn't work. You did what you could, but there wasn't anything you could have done today; he'd slipped down too far! Please do not blame yourself. URI is quite common in shop piggies and he will have come to you with the bacteria already in his body. :( Young guinea pig with a not yet fully developed immune system, frail and/or stressed guinea pigs are particularly vulnerable to this opportunistic hitter.

I hope that you are OK? It is very distressing to be with a dying pet, especially when it is first time. It is so much more physical than you expect.

You are welcome to post a tribute to your piggy in our Rainbow Section whenever it feels right for you.

Tbag

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss - what a sad story :(
Sleep tight little one x

Status
Not open for further replies.