• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Young Guinea Pig weight

HarukoJay

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi All ,

Just checking if i should be worry with my little boy weight.
I have been weighing him weekly as below in grams .. today when i weight him i realise he only gain 15gram in a week ...
He have been pooping fine and eating as per normal .. i did not mix him with my female pig so there is no fight in food ..
Should i start weighing him daily instead and monitor ? how much should they be gaining weekly or daily ?

He’s born on 17March 2020 (which makes him 3 months 2 weeks old) ..

1593878523249.png

It’s okay to not gain a lot of weight. Heft is the best indicator of their body condition. You should just about feel the ribs.

Are you planning to neuter him and put him with your sow after the 6 week wait?

feel his ribs , u have any link u can recommend for me to know how i check ?

I'm planning to neuter him but not at this young age .. (i will consult my vet on this what age is best) ...
once he is neuter i will put together with my sow

After he’s neutered you have to wait six weeks before you can put him with the sow. Are they living next to each other at the moment? If so make sure he can’t escape and get in with her.
Most neutered are done from four months - once their testicles are descended.

Scroll down to weight and heft
Weight - Monitoring and Management

These weights look fine, as long as you are seeing a steady increase not a loss and he is getting a balanced diet with lots of hay, there's nothing to worry about- like with people, some piggies grow faster and end up bigger than others! He is certainly bigger than our boy was at that age.
Our vet prefers piggies to be 16 weeks old and weigh over 600g for neutering, and as @Siikibam says have descended testicles to make the operation easier and less invasive. So hopefully you wont have long to wait for the surgery, but do make sure to wait a full 6 weeks after neutering before he meets his lady friend, even 5 weeks after neutering some males can still get a girl pregnant!

Back