• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Young Guinea with lung infection and mobility issues

scatters

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I'm new and desperate for advice. I am a very experienced rabbit owner, but have recently acquired two guinea pigs. The youngest one, Susee, who is about three and a half months old was very quiet on Sunday night and my daughter thought she had been sneezing a little bit. I took her to the vet on Monday morning and they listened to her chest and said she had a lung infection. They started her on baytril and metacam. I took her back Tuesday evening as she didn't seem to be able to walk other than shifting position and her nose was pointing downwards all the time. I then saw my usual vet yesterday and he gave her an antibiotic injection and has upped all the levels of baytril and metacam and has told me to 'steam' her three times a day which I'm doing. I am syringe feeding, but she has been eating a bit of hay and dried herbs on her own at times and my daughter said she ate a couple of pellets this morning.

I have separated her from her mate and am feeding her at night, etc. Has anybody got any advice for anything else I can do to help this baby :( My daughter is so upset (as am I) and want to give her the best possible chance. She is still sleepy and quiet today, but her head is in a more normal upwards position, but she still won't walk. Help please if you can?

She is a house guinea.

Welcome to the forum!
I wish I could give advice on what to do, but hopefully a more experienced user can help you out. Sending healing vibes to Susee as well as positive vibes to both of you :luv: :luv:

What are you giving her for syringe feeding? Did the vet give it to you? Baytril can often upset tummies so did the vet recommend a probiotic as well? I've got Pro C available from Pets at Home for around a fiver. You give a pinch in a bit of water and syringe feed it an hour or so after the antibiotics.

What are you giving her for syringe feeding? Did the vet give it to you? Baytril can often upset tummies so did the vet recommend a probiotic as well? I've got Pro C available from Pets at Home for around a fiver. You give a pinch in a bit of water and syringe feed it an hour or so after the antibiotics.
Ah right - I'll get some - it's the Science Recovery one...

What dose baytril is she on?

It may be worth speaking to the vet regarding a diuretic if there is fluid on the lungs such as furosemide.

What dose baytril is she on?

It may be worth speaking to the vet regarding a diuretic if there is fluid on the lungs such as furosemide.

He has now put her on 0.5 mls twice a day - she is quite tiny

It sounds as if you are doing well in looking after her. Respiratory problems in piggies can be very serious as they have small lungs. The fact that she is still fighting and is possibly a little better today is encouraging.
I personally would keep her with her friend as it will reassure her and encourage her to eat. At least have them alongside each other. Baytril isn't the best antibiotic for lung infection but vets have to prescribe it first as it's the only one licenced for piggies. Azithromycin or doxycycline tend to be a better choice. Metacam is essential to help reduce inflammation.
Fingers crossed for your little piggy, l hope she makes it through.

It sounds as if you are doing well in looking after her. Respiratory problems in piggies can be very serious as they have small lungs. The fact that she is still fighting and is possibly a little better today is encouraging.
I personally would keep her with her friend as it will reassure her and encourage her to eat. At least have them alongside each other. Baytril isn't the best antibiotic for lung infection but vets have to prescribe it first as it's the only one licenced for piggies. Azithromycin or doxycycline tend to be a better choice. Metacam is essential to help reduce inflammation.
Fingers crossed for your little piggy, l hope she makes it through.
Thank you x

Supreme Science Recovery is a good recovery food and most piggies seem to like it which is always a bonus.

Good to hear she’s walking a bit again.
You’re doing a grand job, good luck to you and Susee! :)

She was doing really well and then unfortunately took a turn for the worse last night and died this morning. Poor little thing :( , very upsetting. I have let her cage mate see her - thank you for all your help x

So sorry for your loss.
Unfortunately sick piggies can deteriorate very quickly.
Look after yourself as you grieve

Back