• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Young Neutered Boar and Older Sow?

Pantalaimon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have just had my neutered boar put down and am left with his companion, a four year old sow. I have searched for a neutered boar but have been unsuccessful.
I know that the better combination for an older sow is a mature neutered boar. Would it be asking for trouble to introduce a young neutered boar (8-15 weeks)?

I don't exactly know what you are asking but if your older sow is lonely you should get her a friend. If you cannot find a neutered boar then you could get an unneutered boar and neuter him if you cannot find anything like that then you could get sow. all of my guinea pigs are sows and they are fine together.

I have just had my neutered boar put down and am left with his companion, a four year old sow. I have searched for a neutered boar but have been unsuccessful.
I know that the better combination for an older sow is a mature neutered boar. Would it be asking for trouble to introduce a young neutered boar (8-15 weeks)?

I’m sorry for your loss.
Do you have a neutered boar of that age available to you? Most boars in this country are not neutered until they are at least 16 weeks old once the testicles have descended.
Character compatibility comes before age in making a successful relationship.

The boars I am looking at are in a local rescue but are all very young and would need to wait a bit before being castrated, and then even longer before being introduced. I am worried that Ratter (my sow) would get frustrated and reject a young boar during the "teenage" phase, and would I like to know what the chances are of this happening and are they any less with a young sow, as Ratter was very hormonal at that age.

Maybe you could keep a boar for a few months or so until they get older then introduce them but I don't know if that would just be silly or make no sense

yeah I was being sarcastic :nod:

you need to be very careful with making statements like piggies try to kill each other. These posts are looked back on and sweeping or inaccurate statements (whether you were joking or not) will remain visible for years to come and therefore create misinformation when somebody looks back on them.

The boars I am looking at are in a local rescue but are all very young and would need to wait a bit before being castrated, and then even longer before being introduced. I am worried that Ratter (my sow) would get frustrated and reject a young boar during the "teenage" phase, and would I like to know what the chances are of this happening and are they any less with a young sow, as Ratter was very hormonal at that age.

older sows can be less accepting so this is where dating will come in very helpful. You will be taking a risk by bringing home a piggy (of either sex) without dating (this goes anyway but particularly with older sows). Of course to take on a boar, then he would need to be neutered before you could do dating and as you’ve said, these youngsters are far from available for dating

5 years old Tesni (on the left) giving her 5 months old 'toy boy' Gethin a kiss during their official photo shoot- it was a mutual love that lasted until Tesni's death two years later in 2018. Gethin (who is coming up to his own 5th birthday) is now living with two younger sows aged 1 and 2 years old.
DSCN3251_edited-1.jpg DSCN2661_edited-1.jpg

I actually didn't adopt Gethin for Tesni but for her then 4 years old daugher Tegan, who comprehensively dumped him 2 hours after I brought them home from rescue dating. So Tegan went to live with Tesni's then husboar, old Hywel, who grudgingly accepted Tegan back on his doorstep while Tesni never spared Hywel another glance after fighting hard to gain and hold the function of being Hywel's favourite concubine for nearly 4 years... you don't need a human soap if you have piggies!
DSCN3076_edited-1.jpg

My 7 years old frail lady Ffraid with her 3 years old swain Carwyn who gave her the company she craved in the last months of her life; she died around her 8th birthday. Carwyn then fell totally in love with baby Heini, who shared his feelings. She sadly followed him not all that long after his death, aged 6 years, in 2018.
DSCN0624_edited-1.jpg DSCN1596_edited-1.jpg

Age and gender come a long way behind mutual liking and character compatibility as you can see! The crucial hurdle is acceptance.

Back