• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Your first guinea pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cavykind

I'd guess most of us have had guineas as companions since being young. Just wondering if you can remember your first?
Mine or I should say ours, was a little Red Dutch (is that a breed?) type sow that lived with I am ashamed to say a rabbit 666)
The guinea pig was called "Sally" and the bunny "Cinnamon Cyndy" ::)

Despite the fact that they should not have been together, luckily they lived for years without any problem :)

So, which guinea pig/s are responsible for introducing you to the joy of piggies?

Barbara

My first piggy was called sandy he was a self cream and lived until he was 81/2 years old.
Carol C

My First Piggie was called Penny. She went everywhere with me and I loved her to bits. She lived to a right old age of 9 and I still miss her today....

Trace x

I had rabbits and a guinea pig together aswell.. wasnt on purpose though.

I had kept rabbits, and never even thought about piggies, then I found this miserable little girl in the neighbours basement without bedding, a friend, hay, only a water bowl and from time to time some dry food.. :(
I thought well I dont know anything much about guinea pigs, but I am sure shell have it better with me.. so I just asked and they were too happy to give her away to come with me the same day.

Took a year though until I got her a friend... what with moving countries and all..
Then the second piggy moved in, then the third.. and now I keep guineas only, and am totally infected with the piggy virus :)

Sadly Lily passed away on the first of October :(

My Mum bought a guinea pig for my little brother who decided he wanted one after watching Dr Dolittle. 'She' was called Rodney and was a very mixed breed with a chunk missing from her ear which we assume was from fighting with her cage mates in the pet shop. My Mum realised that she would end up doing all the work as, typically, my brother was bored of her after about 3 days - I, on the other hand, fell in love with her and took over. I am ashamed to say that I initially got a rabbit to keep her company - didn't last long. As soon as the bunny (who I still have by the way - nearing his 11th birthday) reached adolesence it was obvious they would have to split so I ended up getting another guinea to keep her company, and then another, then another.... ;D

Rodney died 4 years ago at age 6. She was a gorgeous character who came when you called her and was so vocal. I have a picture of her and all my bridge animals in my shed. I still miss her - she made me realise I will never be without piggies in my life.

Funny thing is - I never changed her name. She was always Rodney!

I had 2 guinea pigs when I was younger-me and my brother had one each they were both sows and were called toffee and chewit! Toffee was short haired and a toffee colour with white marks and chewit was a long haired one and she was white and a golden colour.

I can't remember quite how old they lived to-it must have been about 6 but I do remember chewit was the first to go and then toffee died a day later-we always thought she had died of a broken heart :'( ah bless them!

I was at primary school and the school guinea (called Big Ears!) had babies. My sister had a rosetted pink eyed white (is that the proper name, no good at breeds) called Katie. There was one left for ages, smooth haired white but no-one liked it because everyone thought it looked like a rat. I decided to have it and told the school my Mum had said it was OK. I carried it home and put it on my Mum's lap (she was watching Wimbledon on the telly!) I can remember it really clearly, about 25 years ago. Anyway, turned out they were both boys. I called mine Tarka because I loved otters. Katie had an eye removed successfully and Tarka got an impacted rear so I had to 'empty' him daily, so they weren't the best of health when they were old but they were lovely. I'm so glad nobody wanted Tarka as it meant they had each other, which we should have done in the first place anyway.

I had my first piggie when I was about 7 - almost 20 years ago now!

He also lived with a rabbit - we didn't know any better then and the arrangement was that I had a guinea and my sister had a rabbit.

My piggie was called Choccie as he was brown with a cream patch on his bum that made him look like a choc ice with a bite out of it! He was a very friendly chap and its him that started my obsession with the hairy little squeakers! Choccie lived to the grand old age of 9 - I still miss him now!

I have my first guinea pig right now. His names Bimbi. =]

I only got my first guinea pig this summer (well I got him for my son and he predictably lost interest). I had no idea how cute they were, having only seen little ones in pet shops which appear to have no personality, just scuttle round scared, I am constantly amazed by their little characters, I've caught OCGD ;D ;D

OCGD? ^^;

I heart Bimbi. My mom kind of scared me, she said they bite and stuff thats why I was skiddish at first, but now I can just pick up Bimbi no matter what, like even if hes half asleep, I didnt know they were such teddy bears. Bimbis chubby, and we watch tv together a lot. But only for like an hour or so at a time, because then he gets kind fidgetty (sp?) and he'll pee. And momll be mad. lol And I want a bigger cage for him, since the one hes in right now is a bit small. But wow the cages are so expensive. o.o And I cant make one, we couldnt have a place to put it.

if you dont have that much floor space, have you considered building a cage up in levels?

We dont have that big a space for them, so we just built a four level cage that fits underneath the unused space under the stairs in our kitchen >>click here<< three piggies have easily enough space in there :) Even if you just have space to build a two level cage - anything that allows you to get a friend for bimbi would do.
Its just so sad, when they are kept alone...

I still have my first piggie, she is 2.5 and like most other peoples lived with a rabbit! Not for long though, I got her a friend Roxy (who I still have too) Ruby is peruvian X and although I have 15, I have a soft spot for her!

My brothers guinea pig, Reesy, (as in reeses peanut butter cups) and Bimbi play with each other once in a while, you dont have to worry. They talk too. lol its so cute. <3

o0o thanks for the picture. Thats a cool cage! Maybe I can make one some day. But wouldnt it be hard to clean?

Hey, Ill get a picture of Bimbis cage right now. And I know its kind of small, I mean its my first guinea pig, first cage, but I wanna show you guys. And its not like its totally cooped (sp?) up in there, Bimbis out of his cage a lot.

*grabs camera and runs to his cage*

Oooh. OCGD. Nice. lol ;D
----------
100_2515.jpg

^^^Thats Bimbis Cage^^^

Hope its not like, un healthy-ish too small. :(

My first piggy was a golden agouti boar with a white flash on his right shoulder. He was called Max. He lived with a rabbit for a while, as, like someone else said, 20+ years ago we didn't know any better. They lived in a big run on the garden. The rabbit (who my older sister was keeping under her bed in secret till we found it) chewed a big hole in the back of the run and used to go off raiding the neighbours gardens until one day he didn't come back. Max never went anywhere. I can't remember how long he lived as it was a long time ago.

Kat

My first piggy was Pippin back in the late 80's. I wanted a friend for him, the pet shop recommended a Netherland Dwarf rabbit because they said 2 boars would fight & i didn't want babies. I knew no different.
They were only together 1 night & what a mess poor Pippin was in. From his shoulders right down to his bits were bitten so badly he looked like he'd been "macheted!"
I felt so guilty - took him straight to the vets, he had an antibiotic jab & i bathed him every day with salt water. The vet said the fact that guineas have thick skin is what had saved him.

I then got Pippin a friend, a little chocolate & orange boar called Parkin & because my friend had 2 boars living happily together i decided to try them together - they hit it off straight away & no wonder because Parkin turned out to be a sow!
Pippin & the newly named Molly went on to have 4 beautiful babies, I had him neutered & he lived to the grand age of 8
This is Pippin with Molly - Maddie reminds me so much of Molly
PippinMolly.jpg

I loved my Pippin pig & was devastated when he died, he's now sleeping with Molly & others in my mums garden

Niki x

it's lovely to hear alll these lovely stories about guinea pigs from long ago...well long ago for some of us ::)

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back