• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

You're Kidding?

Interested to read it is OK to keep a pair of boars. Previous to my young son's 2 piggies (sows) who are now 3 years old, it was over 30 years since I last had piggies and back then I was advised that I couldn't keep boars together, even litter brothers, so I had a boar and a sow (non related) with the associated babies - omg they were sooooooo cute. Mum had 6 babies overnight. One was huge and she never broke the sack so I got up to a dead baby. I don't know why she didn't do that but put it down to it could possibly have been her first so she wasn't experienced and may have gone straight into needing to push again. And the smallest, which she was giving birth to when I got up, she refused to clean and feed. Luckily I'd set things up in case that happened and had read up on how to raise orphaned pigges - in books as it was pre-internet, so I cleaned him off, kept him warm, got his bladder working and hand fed him with a tiny pipette from work. Mum was happy to have him in the cage with her and his siblings didn't mind him so I thought it healthier for him to be with his family and I'd take him out to feed him. She still refused to feed him. I did try and see a few times because her feeding him, properly, would have been better for him, and me! I named him Tiny and he grew to be huge, bigger than his dad. Him and I had a strong bond. Anyway, that's why we had 2 sows this time. In those days the vets in my area also refused to neuter or sterilise citing anaesthetic risks. So if we get more piggies in the future it is nice to know we aren't limited to sows, we could get a pair of brothers
Mine aren’t litter brothers, we introduced them before I joined the forum and 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️
I basically just put them in a cage together, no proper introduction.
I’d know better now thankfully 😅
They get along quite well, they just don’t like being right next to each other, they demonstrate this by rumbling!
I have only ever kept boys and I’ve never had any big fights (touch wood)

Update: They PM(ed) me and we discussed it further, they gave their opinion and I gave mine, then we chalked it up to experience, being guinea pig lovers with a different opinion. I didn’t want to discuss it any further, I didn’t want any tension

Best just to leave it. They will be very lucky if they get past the teenage months in my opinion. Two boars together can be problematic without another in the mix. Bill and Ted are ok most of the time, but do have the odd heated moments just like most housemates I suppose x

My Edward was part of a boar trio and he was the one who was bullied and bitten so his owners kept the two brothers and gave Edward to rescue. He’s now happily living with Ellen
What a shame, he’s lucky to be with you now!

After somebody posted an image of three boars

I said:
Hello! Are they all boys? Boy trios hardly ever work (or a very slim chance that they will) boys can't really be kept in anything more than a pair. It not only risks the bond of your current pigs but it risks over dominance and bullying, even fights. It's best to keep pairs x

I will add it doesn't matter if they're from the same litter or not x

They replied:
They get along just fine! They were always kept together. One dominant and two submissive

I replied: They're very cute x

Somebody random says:
It's a mythhhhh, as long as there's no females involved for them to fght over they're fine, they get along really well, love each other bless them

I replied:
This is not true, trust me on this x

Am I in the right here? Are my facts correct?
( Note there is no malice -at least in what I am saying- here)

I have always understood the same but I board three male entre pigs together. They are now 2yrs old and much to my amazement are a great little group. I would never recommend it personally x

It’s such a tricky one. I’ve got a bit embroiled in a Facebook selling page where a friend is trying to rehome home her newly single boar (his cage mate died). I totally understand where she is coming from but I’ve suggested just putting him in with an established group may be a problem all round and suggested the local rescue where he can get a companion and a properly checked out home. Ended up biting my tongue as I’m a lone voice in a crowd. I don’t mind them learning the hard way but the one that suffers most is the literal piggy in the middle of it all :(

You were right In what u said I currently like a four boy group they work fine as I have a very dominant Male who keeps everyone else I check but is not aggressive tot he other piggies

Back