• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Zac is now left alone - to add a single or pair of babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zez

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, after the sad death of my darling Tikka, I need to set about getting a new friend for Danzac. Zac is about a year old, quite shy and medium sized. When Tikka's previous cage mate died of old age I successfully introducted him and Zac in a bath lined with towels and a huge bowl of veggies. I'll use the same method unless anyone else has any suggestions.

One baby or 2. I know a trio is harder to manage, but i have a huge 2 level hutch so space wouldn't be an issue. I suppose I was thinking that if i have 2 babies, then when its Zac's time I'm hopefully not left with just one again. But would it be just as likely that all being well a 1 year old and a baby have similar odds of dying at a similar ish time. I know that sounds hard hearted, but i hate having one left behind, its so sad.

So, am I mad to consider bonding Zac to a pair of babies, or should i stick with the original plan and just get one?

Stick with the original plan! I recently lost a piggy and got his friend a new cagemate. Two months later, the older piggy died leaving four month old Polo on his own. I now also have a similarly aged Pepper who is very dominant. I did think about getting a baby for Polo, but will now house them next to each other for a while to see how it goes.

I'd definitely only keep two together - the little ones could also gang up on Zac and bully him.

:)

One baby is better. If you could find a rescue near you where you can take Zac "boar dating". As Zac is an underboy as well, you could even think about trying to introduce him to another laid back adult boar - if they hit it off, you won't have to worry about hormones.

Here is a list of rescues: http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/centres.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back