• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Zithromax

Kimberley mcgregor

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I have a four year old female piggy who has had a fairly traumatic couple of weeks going from loosing the ability to walk in 3 of her 4 legs and is being told she needs to be put to sleep to miraculously getting up and deciding to walk once more! Long story short she has had ongoing issues with urinary infections and has been put on Zithromax to try and see if this helps however my vet hasn’t given me any guidance on how to make the powder up? How much water should it be diluted with? Do I store in fridge? Thanks for your help

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Did you try to call the vet and ask them how exactly to administer it? I'll tag @Wiebke @VickiA

Kimberley mcgregor

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have been on and off the phone to my vets recently and to be honest I think they are sick of me calling :no:

Kimberley mcgregor

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Yeah definitely it’s just hard when you know they are annoyed at you calling by there tone of voice - I will call this afternoon hopefully get a different receptionist

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I can definitely sympathise, I've dealt with my own share of narky reception staff recently. But that's their problem, your piggy and their care is what's important here. If they can't recognise that they're in the wrong job.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I have a four year old female piggy who has had a fairly traumatic couple of weeks going from loosing the ability to walk in 3 of her 4 legs and is being told she needs to be put to sleep to miraculously getting up and deciding to walk once more! Long story short she has had ongoing issues with urinary infections and has been put on Zithromax to try and see if this helps however my vet hasn’t given me any guidance on how to make the powder up? How much water should it be diluted with? Do I store in fridge? Thanks for your help
Hi!

I am very sorry about your issues.

Please follow the guidance on the Zithromax packaging and leaflet; it tells you exactly how much water to mix with. Use a syringe to measure out the stated amount of water (I think it is about 15 ml but I could be wrong) to add to the powder and then stir until it has fully dissolved. You do not need to store the bottle in a fridge all the time but keep it where it is below 25 C especially on any hot day.

Is your vet aware that there is a sterile (i.e. non-bacterial) form of interstitial (i.e. recurring) cystitis, which cannot be healed by an antibiotic has become a lot more common over the last decade but is virtually unknown outside vet circles that see guinea pigs pretty frequently.

Sterile interstitial cystitis in cavies is mainly managed with plenty of glucosamine (usually by mixing the contents of a capsule of feliway cystease with 2 ml water and syringing this once or twice daily) to support the affected natural glucosamine coating of the urinary tract and an analgesic like dog metacam. In severe cases cartrofen injections (which is a high glucosamine athritic drug) have been found effective in recent research and is just being started to be used by some vets in the UK but general treatment regulations have not yet been developed.
The few forum members that have had their piggies treated this way have had been very pleased with the effectiveness. The treament follows roughly the experiences that have been made with a similar problem in cats (Feline sterile cystitis or FSC).
Please be aware that glucosamine is classed as a food supplement and not as a medication although cartrofen is.

@furryfriends (TEAS)

PS: Here are our tips on looking after piggies with mobility issues in case you need them again (which I do hope not): Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

Kimberley mcgregor

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

I am very sorry about your issues.

Please follow the guidance on the Zithromax packaging and leaflet; it tells you exactly how much water to mix with. Use a syringe to measure out the stated amount of water (I think it is about 15 ml but I could be wrong) to add to the powder and then stir until it has fully dissolved. You do not need to store the bottle in a fridge all the time but keep it where it is below 25 C especially on any hot day.

Is your vet aware that there is a sterile (i.e. non-bacterial) form of interstitial (i.e. recurring) cystitis, which cannot be healed by an antibiotic has become a lot more common over the last decade but is virtually unknown outside vet circles that see guinea pigs pretty frequently.

Sterile interstitial cystitis in cavies is mainly managed with plenty of glucosamine (usually by mixing the contents of a capsule of feliway cystease with 2 ml water and syringing this once or twice daily) to support the affected natural glucosamine coating of the urinary tract and an analgesic like dog metacam. In severe cases cartrofen injections (which is a high glucosamine athritic drug) have been found effective in recent research and is just being started to be used by some vets in the UK but general treatment regulations have not yet been developed.
The few forum members that have had their piggies treated this way have had been very pleased with the effectiveness. The treament follows roughly the experiences that have been made with a similar problem in cats (Feline sterile cystitis or FSC).
Please be aware that glucosamine is classed as a food supplement and not as a medication although cartrofen is.

@furryfriends (TEAS)

PS: Here are our tips on looking after piggies with mobility issues in case you need them again (which I do hope not): Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility
Thank you for your reply - is it cystease for cats I should be thinking of?