2 guinea pigs with separate homes next to each other?

zsbbb

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

I have two guinea pigs who used to live together (but had a falling out, probably because their cage wasn't big enough). I've attempted to rebond them again maybe twice but they always end up fighting aggressively which scares me so I've just kept them separate living in their own big cages but right next to each other. Through the cage dividers they can talk to each other - but they obviously can't play with each other anymore. Is this sufficient for social interaction? I'm wondering if I should try again to rebond them again or maybe even introduce two new piggies (but that's more complication in terms of care, etc. so I'm putting that off for now).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

zsbbb

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Just want to note that they are both adult boars - one older and one younger.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Is there a rescue that does boar dating anywhere near you? Perhaps you could find a mate for both there and if you had problems with a bond later on they are usually happy to take back that piggie and perhaps try again. I would steer clear of just buying a couple more boars from a shop or breeder as you could well end up with 4 piggies in separate cages! They really need to choose who they like and don’t like, just like us really!
Where abouts do you live, UK or elsewhere, if we know then we may be able to help you find a rescue. Here is a link to UK recommended rescues

Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

The alternative would be to get them neutered and then get them a wife each?

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I have two guinea pigs who used to live together (but had a falling out, probably because their cage wasn't big enough). I've attempted to rebond them again maybe twice but they always end up fighting aggressively which scares me so I've just kept them separate living in their own big cages but right next to each other. Through the cage dividers they can talk to each other - but they obviously can't play with each other anymore. Is this sufficient for social interaction? I'm wondering if I should try again to rebond them again or maybe even introduce two new piggies (but that's more complication in terms of care, etc. so I'm putting that off for now).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I wouldnt class this as cruel or anything, but if you can make the situation better by doing the above as bill and ted said, then happy days 👍 depends on if you can afford two more pigs or afford to neuter them both and have two more pigs ( vet bills) good luck with it all ☺