• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

2 males had the snip and now not getting along

id29nn

New Born Pup
Reaction score
2 very healthy bonded males, took them to the vets together but in 2 separate carriers.. were kept separate during the recovery after their castration and have been home for 48 hours now. Same hutch but kept apart by the 2 levels.
Introduced the ramp to allow them to meet once more and it didn't go well at all.. circling each other, rumble strutting, teeth chattering and then full attack. Seperated them once more by the two levels.. is this the end of our pairs bonding. Any advice would be appreciated

Sadly there is always a risk when separating bonded boars, that they may not go back together again. This is why it’s not recommended to carry out any medical separations and to instead leave bonded boars together all the time. As a pair of boars, neutering will not have made any difference to their relationship and neutering would only serve for them to be bonded with a sow each down the line.

However, any reintroduction must be done properly and on neutral territory, and not by simply allowing them go back up and down a ramp into each other cages as that will be seen as a territory invasion.

If they have sadly now had a full on fight then unfortunately that is usually bond breaking and will mean they cannot go back together.

Unfortunately if they do refuse to go back together and as separated piggies, then living one up and one down does not allow for interaction so each piggy may become lonely. If they do refuse to live together again and as they have been neutered, once they are six weeks post surgery and infertile they could both be bonded with a sow each and then be able to live with one pair upstairs and one pair downstairs

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Thats exactly what I thought and what I needed to hear, thank you.
I will try the neutral territory and let them find their way back to the hutch via the connecting tube, otherwise it will be separation one will need to go and we will look to get two females for the one remaining boar.
A shame, we did the neutering in case one dies or they fall out in the future, this was we can bring 2 females in... unfortunate in doing so we might have seperated them all together forcing the issue much sooner. Fingers crossed thank you

I really hope they can be rebonded.
Good luck. 🤞🤞

Thats exactly what I thought and what I needed to hear, thank you.
I will try the neutral territory and let them find their way back to the hutch via the connecting tube, otherwise it will be separation one will need to go and we will look to get two females for the one remaining boar.
A shame, we did the neutering in case one dies or they fall out in the future, this was we can bring 2 females in... unfortunate in doing so we might have seperated them all together forcing the issue much sooner. Fingers crossed thank you

If you do this, you will need to make sure the hutch is also thoroughly cleaned beforehand so is also neutral

Do be careful though and be prepared with oven gloves to step in as a full on fight is always concerning and could happen again if you try to reintroduce

Back