• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

6 years old boar - off food and unwell

Kaila

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there!
I have a 6 year old boar who has been poorly since yesterday.
When I came home from work, hewasn’t interested in his veggies or any treats I was offering and was unusually quiet.
I straight away started with syringe feeding recovery food and simethicone to relive any possible gas with no improvement.
I took him to my ooh vet who said she could find nothing wrong, gave him pain meds and told me to continue with syringing until Tuesday (it’s bank holiday)
I then took him back in the afternoon as he was looking dehydrated even though I was syringe feeding.
they gave him some subcut fluids and antacids to get his gut moving again.
he ate some wet grass when we got home and again a few hours late along with a nibble or two of veggies
I have a stronger antacid for him for the week but am yet to see any improvement.
when I pulled him out tonight he looked to be a little impacted. I removed the faeces from the anal sac and placed him back in his cage.
when I went to syringe feed again I checked his bottom and there were fresh caecotrophs.
i will be taking him to his main vet in the morning but would you class the fresh caecatrophs as a bowel movement?
My concern is that he may not be pooping.
Any advice is greatly appreciated
Sorry for the long winded post.
thank you

Hi, so sorry to hear your boy is poorly. Hopefully someone more experienced than me will see your post soon as its 7am here in the uk.

Are you giving a syringe of water along with the critical care? As this may help with dehydration. Unfortunately I cant answer about the caecotrophs as i just don't know. Could they just be soft poops? Also any food piggies eat now it takes about a day to come out the other end. So if hes not been eating then it may take a while for more poops.

How much syringe feed are you getting into him?
weigh him daily while he is unwell so you can be sure he isn’t dropping weight - any weight loss means not enough syringe feed in the previous 24 hours.
We don’t recommend using simethicone as it causes bubbles to create into one large bubble which is more difficult and more painful for piggies to pass

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Did the vet give you the antacid(s)? What did he give you?

Did the vet give you the antacid(s)? What did he give you?
Hi thank you all for your replies!
He’s been given a higher dose of the metaclopromide which is the ant acid.
he’s now on 0.5 ml twice daily
he’s stopped being willing to take the critical care now and it’s too chewing on the syringe.
I am waiting for the vet to call me back. Any tips would be great in the meantime

You can try offering it on a spoon or in a bowl and see if he’ll take it that way. Otherwise you just need to be firm. How is his weight compared to yesterday?

weigh him daily while he is unwell so you can be sure he isn’t dropping weight - any weight loss means not enough syringe feed in the previous 24 hours.
We don’t recommend using simethicone as it causes bubbles to create into one large bubble which is more difficult and more painful for piggies to pass

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
I’m syringing every hour around 2 ml or until he stops being willing to take.
he has now stoppedtaking Any
I am waiting for a call back off the vet
You can try offering it on a spoon or in a bowl and see if he’ll take it that way. Otherwise you just need to be firm. How is his weight compared to yesterday?
no joy with just offering from the bowl. I’ve also tried his fave veggies.
it hasn’t dropped since yesterday but he has lost over the weekend whilst being poorly. We are trying ourbest to keep up with the syringe foods
But now we have the obstacle of him refusing to take it
We are aware that prognosis is touchy due to his age

Okay. I think he really needs to be seen by a vet rather than just a phone call, especially if he’s now completely refusing the feeds. Keep trying and do every hour rather than 2 I think. Good luck with the call.

He’s been having around 4 ml every 1.5 hours with me through the night. He has only had 3 ml today with some grass as he has been at the vets be
Okay. I think he really needs to be seen by a vet rather than just a phone call, especially if he’s now completely refusing the feeds. Keep trying and do every hour rather than 2 I think. Good luck with the call.
i have literally only just come home from the vets. I’ve come home made him a fresh batch of recovery and sat down to feed. So no need to worry there, he has been seen. I’m just waiting for a call off the vet so I can discuss the issue of him not taking the critical care now, he’s been in for fluids and pain meds as well as an examination

Yes that’s correct - a piggy with bloat should really be kept off of all fresh foods until the episode passes and piggy has been well for a couple of days. Veg can then be gradually reintroduced a few days later.

Hi thank you all for your replies!
He’s been given a higher dose of the metaclopromide which is the ant acid.
he’s now on 0.5 ml twice daily
he’s stopped being willing to take the critical care now and it’s too chewing on the syringe.
I am waiting for the vet to call me back. Any tips would be great in the meantime

Here is our emergency care information collection with lots of practical tips and helpful information, including how to spot when help is no longer possible and the body has started to close down: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

All the best! These times are always so anxious and tough as guinea pigs can go downhill very quickly.

Thank you all for your help and advice. He sadly passed moments later after tireless help over the weekend and throughout today. He passed in my arms. He wouldn’t have made it to the vets in time x

Thank you all for your help and advice. He sadly passed moments later after tireless help over the weekend and throughout today. He passed in my arms. He wouldn’t have made it to the vets in time x

HUGS

I am sorry. I had a feeling that his body had started to close down from your last post. It is sadly not at all uncommon in older piggies as I know from my own.

Please try to take consolation that you have done everything you could and should; the rest is out of your hands. Also try to take consolation in that your boy has lived a normal life span and that his end has come quickly, so he wasn't in discomfort for very long and the shock was more on your side than on his - which is generally where we'd prefer it if we had the time to reflect and the luxury to choose.

You may find the guides in this link here helpful in answering any questions you may have, what to do for a bereaved companion and help for your grieving process in the coming days and weeks: Death, Dying, Terminal Illness, Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

HUGS

I am sorry. I had a feeling that his body had started to close down from your last post. It is sadly not at all uncommon in older piggies as I know from my own.

Please try to take consolation that you have done everything you could and should; the rest is out of your hands. Also try to take consolation in that your boy has lived a normal life span and that his end has come quickly, so he wasn't in discomfort for very long and the shock was more on your side than on his - which is generally where we'd prefer it if we had the time to reflect and the luxury to choose.

You may find the guides in this link here helpful in answering any questions you may have, what to do for a bereaved companion and help for your grieving process in the coming days and weeks: Death, Dying, Terminal Illness, Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children
Thank you greatly.
his baby cage mate has had his time to say goodbye also so he understands the situation a little better.
I had a feeling myself when we arrived home and he wasn’t willing to take anything. So I cuddled him up as I knew he wouldn’t make it back to the vet
All I can ask is that he lived a good happy life and as much as I am heartbroken it was quick and he did not suffer for long.
Again, thank you massively all. We appreciate it x

Thank you greatly.
his baby cage mate has had his time to say goodbye also so he understands the situation a little better.
I had a feeling myself when we arrived home and he wasn’t willing to take anything. So I cuddled him up as I knew he wouldn’t make it back to the vet
All I can ask is that he lived a good happy life and as much as I am heartbroken it was quick and he did not suffer for long.
Again, thank you massively all. We appreciate it x

Be kind to yourself and give yourself time to grieve.

Back