• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Abdominal Lump

Flossys_doll

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My female guinea pig has a firm, grape sized lump on her lower abdomen. It is near a teat, at a spot where she would occasionally bite herself, leaving wounds or bruising which would heal quite quickly. She is almost 7 years old and does not seem to be in any pain. Anyone seen this on their pigs?

3 Musketeers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It could be a abcess brewing, can you give us a picture
abscess.jpg

Above is an example of a abcess, if it looks like this please see a vet!

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
my god @3 Musketeers I've never seen an abscess so huge!

Any lump should be seen by a vet for diagnosis especially when it is causing discomfort to your piggy (that is why she is biting and hurting herself). From the location it could be a number of things - mammary tumour, sebaceous cyst, fatty lump, abscess and I'm sure there's more.

If you can let us know your rough location the members on here might be able to recommend a good vet as sadly some vets don't know a piggy bum from its elbow

Katiedid

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
See a vet, my sow has an almost identical lump and we are off to the vet tomorrow. My old boar sadly had cancer and one of the last lumps to appear was there.

Amy Barton

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Fingers crossed it's just harmless cyst however any lumps need to be seen by a vet asap especially in older piggys as they are more likely to develop cancer. Your vet should take a sample from the lump to test if it is an abcess, cancer or a cyst.

D

DM030819

@Flossys_doll It could be a mammary lump which could be cancer or not.

One of my boars had one, and had it removed. It turned out to be just a lump but I'm glad we removed it anyway as it was making his nipple bleed.

It's always best to get lumps checked out. One of my current boys has a lump and the vet says it's fine, just to keep an eye on it.