• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Advise on bed pee-ers!

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi all. I'm wondering if any1 has got any ideas for my 2 bed peeing boars. I use carefresh as a subsrate which doesn't smell at all, I never smell my boys. I clean their cage out everyday without fail. They love to chill out underneath their bendy bridges but also like to pee there. What can I do? I don't like to think of them sleeping in their own pee all day :no: I was wondering about vet bed? Would the pee go through that enough that they wouldn'

VickiA

Staff member
I’m afraid that weeing in beds is just typical of piggies. I use pee pads (small fleece squares I’ve made) that I put inside houses and under arches. The pee drains through them into the substrate. I change the pee pads daily.

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
I might do the same thing. I don't mind cleaning daily I was just concerned for their health. I guess they don't mind. They don't seem to anyway :doh:

flowerfairy

Forum Donator 2017/18
I use cage liners with mats (mini liners) on top which I change every couplemof days. The larger liners last for 3 to 4 days.

Cage liner with boats on and a noodle mat, which needs changing after a daynas there is no absorbent layer. The guinea pigs love to lie under their beds!

Cage liner with mats on top. Over view of the cuuute ikea beds

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
I do the same under their houses, put a mat down which is changed every couple of days so their sleeping areas stay clean and dry :)

Powerpigs

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
I get mine from Home Bargains or B &M Bargains. Micro fibre bath mats (cut to size) or cleaning mitts. Very cheap.
I use Ikea bath noodle mats and cut them to size. They are also cheap and my pigs love them!

LittleGems

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi!
You could frequently check the mat and rinse/wash if it has pee on it. Also , when you clean out the cage everyday is it just a rough clean or is it a complete clean?

VickiA

Staff member
Hi!
You could frequently check the mat and rinse/wash if it has pee on it. Also , when you clean out the cage everyday is it just a rough clean or is it a complete clean?
The pee pads really need changing every day as piggies pee on them and bacteria can quickly build up. I do a poop scoop twice daily and clean the whole cage out every third day.

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi!
I go over the cage everyday removing any poos and wet substrate and wipe the bottom of the cage down with a damp cloth where it has been peed on