• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advise on bed pee-ers!

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm wondering if any1 has got any ideas for my 2 bed peeing boars. I use carefresh as a subsrate which doesn't smell at all, I never smell my boys. I clean their cage out everyday without fail. They love to chill out underneath their bendy bridges but also like to pee there. What can I do? I don't like to think of them sleeping in their own pee all day :no: I was wondering about vet bed? Would the pee go through that enough that they wouldn'

I’m afraid that weeing in beds is just typical of piggies. I use pee pads (small fleece squares I’ve made) that I put inside houses and under arches. The pee drains through them into the substrate. I change the pee pads daily.

I might do the same thing. I don't mind cleaning daily I was just concerned for their health. I guess they don't mind. They don't seem to anyway :doh:

I use cage liners with mats (mini liners) on top which I change every couplemof days. The larger liners last for 3 to 4 days.

Cage liner with boats on and a noodle mat, which needs changing after a daynas there is no absorbent layer. The guinea pigs love to lie under their beds!

16mlxd.jpg

Cage liner with mats on top. Over view of the cuuute ikea beds

4ptxdx.jpg

I do the same under their houses, put a mat down which is changed every couple of days so their sleeping areas stay clean and dry :)

Thank you I will definitely be investing in some mats for these little widdlers. By the way those beds are so cute!

great advice in this thread!

I get mine from Home Bargains or B &M Bargains. Micro fibre bath mats (cut to size) or cleaning mitts. Very cheap.
I use Ikea bath noodle mats and cut them to size. They are also cheap and my pigs love them!

Hi!
You could frequently check the mat and rinse/wash if it has pee on it. Also , when you clean out the cage everyday is it just a rough clean or is it a complete clean?

Hi!
You could frequently check the mat and rinse/wash if it has pee on it. Also , when you clean out the cage everyday is it just a rough clean or is it a complete clean?

The pee pads really need changing every day as piggies pee on them and bacteria can quickly build up. I do a poop scoop twice daily and clean the whole cage out every third day.

Hi!

I go over the cage everyday removing any poos and wet substrate and wipe the bottom of the cage down with a damp cloth where it has been peed on

Back