• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sleepy-Pig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My pig had to be put under anaesthesia (injection) for teeth trimming earlier today. The vet gave him to us before he woke up and didn't give him the "wake up shot" or whatever the technical term for it is and he has been asleep since, for around 7 hours now. He is breathing but doesn't react to anything. How long does it usually take for a pig to come out without the "antidote"? I've been heating up his heating pad but it's night soon and I'm worried about what I should do...

My pig had to be put under anaesthesia (injection) for teeth trimming earlier today. The vet gave him to us before he woke up and didn't give him the "wake up shot" or whatever the technical term for it is and he has been asleep since, for around 7 hours now. He is breathing but doesn't react to anything. How long does it usually take for a pig to come out without the "antidote"? I've been heating up his heating pad but it's night soon and I'm worried about what I should do...

Please contact your vet clinic or an out-of-hours vet ASAP! This should never happen!

Tips For Post-operative Care

Please contact your vet clinic or an out-of-hours vet ASAP! This should never happen!

I just checked on him and noticed him starting to react when you tap near his eyes so that's definitely a good sign. I would love to call a vet but all the vets around my area have closed hours ago and the closest emergency(/out-of-hours I guess, no clue if it is) clinic is way more than an hour drive away and I have no ride :/

I'm quite concerned that they let you take your piggy home @Sleepy-Pig if he wasn't awake!

Give the out of hours vet a ring and they may be able to advise you on what to do. Otherwise your only option is to find someone to drive you to the vet so they can do something.

Yeah I was really bummed they let him home when he wasn't even awake. I fully expected for them to keep him for a while but...

I'm trying to find their number so I can perhaps give them a call, luckily he seems to be starting to come out of it now and is blinking and moving his whiskers occationally. The breathing seems to be getting better too so I'm crossing my fingers. I will be keeping my eye on him for the night and making sure he stays heated so he doesn't get hypothermia. Hopefully his bowels aren't all fucked up after not eating for this long...

@Sleepy-Pig It's probably worth having handfeeding stuff at hand just in case he needs some support with eating whilst he's recovering.

It sounds positive that he's starting to react more now. I'll have my fingers crossed for him. Let us know how he gets on!

Your poor boy, why on earth did the vet hand him back to you why he was still under the anaesthetic? My vets keep them in all day! Your main priority now is to keep him warm and comfortable and get some food in to him but please make a complaint as your vet shouldn’t be discharging animals from their care in a comatised state!

@Sleepy-Pig It's probably worth having handfeeding stuff at hand just in case he needs some support with eating whilst he's recovering.

It sounds positive that he's starting to react more now. I'll have my fingers crossed for him. Let us know how he gets on!

I have already gotten him some baby food to mix with mushed pellets and what not if he doesn't feel like eating the normal fresh veggies right away and some needleless syringes if I have to force feed him, hopefully not but you never know. I will definitely keep you posted on how he is doing.

Yeah I was really bummed they let him home when he wasn't even awake. I fully expected for them to keep him for a while but...

I'm trying to find their number so I can perhaps give them a call, luckily he seems to be starting to come out of it now and is blinking and moving his whiskers occationally. The breathing seems to be getting better too so I'm crossing my fingers. I will be keeping my eye on him for the night and making sure he stays heated so he doesn't get hypothermia. Hopefully his bowels aren't all fucked up after not eating for this long...

Please also step in with offering syringe feed if he is not eating on his own once he is with it again. Don't just force food down for the sake of forcing it down, be careful that you only give as much fibrous feed as he can swallow. He has been a long time without any food and that can slow down the guts and cause GI stasis (full or partial). Like @Jaycey is saying, feeding little but often is important to keep the guts going. Your care at home can be as important as any vet care in the coming days.

We have got a step-by-step guide here. Mushed up pellets will do in an emergency as long as you cut off the syringe tip as shown in the guide.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Your poor boy, why on earth did the vet hand him back to you why he was still under the anaesthetic? My vets keep them in all day! Your main priority now is to keep him warm and comfortable and get some food in to him but please make a complaint as your vet shouldn’t be discharging animals from their care in a comatised state!

I definitely will! It was so mind boggling to me that they would discharge him so soon. Sure my local vet (only vet I could get a time asap since he started having really hard time eating few days ago) has small spaces but man... this is just ridiculous.

Also about calling the emergency/out-of-hours vet number like someone mentioned earlier. The site specifically states that you shouldn't call if you don't have a legit emergency which I guess I don't have atm so idk if calling them would be ok.

Update on the pig too: He just started trying to lift his head so it's looking promising for now!

Please also step in with offering syringe feed if he is not eating on his own once he is with it again. Don't just force food down for the sake of forcing it down, be careful that you only give as much fibrous feed as he can swallow. He has been a long time without any food and that can slow down the guts and cause GI stasis (full or partial). Like @Jaycey is saying, feeding little but often is important to keep the guts going. Your care at home can be as important as any vet care in the coming days.

We have got a step-by-step guide here. Mushed up pellets will do in an emergency as long as you cut off the syringe tip as shown in the guide.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Thank you for the guide! I will definitely try getting him to eat at least mushed pellets asap and give him hay and water. Hopefully force feeding isn't necessary but if it is, it is.

I definitely will! It was so mind boggling to me that they would discharge him so soon. Sure my local vet (only vet I could get a time asap since he started having really hard time eating few days ago) has small spaces but man... this is just ridiculous.

Also about calling the emergency/out-of-hours vet number like someone mentioned earlier. The site specifically states that you shouldn't call if you don't have a legit emergency which I guess I don't have atm so idk if calling them would be ok.

Update on the pig too: He just started trying to lift his head so it's looking promising for now!

I'm pretty sure a guinea pig not coming round promptly from anaesthesia counts as an emergency - or at least it should, and that's the important part. He should never have been sent home like that - you wouldn't send a person home in that state.

Update!
He woke up when I was about to call the vet and eating the mushed pellets rn so I'll be leaving the possible call to the morning. His motor skills are still a bit iffy and he is a bit weak but other than that, so far so good! He is getting more energetic every second! I will be adding some C-vitamin on the mush so he can get that going as well.

I'm going to leave him in the carrier and have him in my room so I can keep an eye on him during the night. Wish me luck with the pain meds tomorrow morning haha

Next update in about 10 hours if the night goes well.

Update!
He woke up when I was about to call the vet and eating the mushed pellets rn so I'll be leaving the possible call to the morning. His motor skills are still a bit iffy and he is a bit weak but other than that, so far so good! He is getting more energetic every second! I will be adding some C-vitamin on the mush so he can get that going as well.

I'm going to leave him in the carrier and have him in my room so I can keep an eye on him during the night. Wish me luck with the pain meds tomorrow morning haha

Next update in about 10 hours if the night goes well.

Glad that he has woken up now and is eating on his own. That is the big crucial point.

Make sure that he keeps eating throughout the night and place some nice fresh hay, fresh herbs and some watery veg like cucumber in the carrier for the night. Keep checking on him at least once or twice during the night.

I can't believe your vet gave him to you like that. Glad your little man has woken up and is eating again. Let us know what happens and what the vet says.

So... I come with sad news.

The night went alright but this morning he stopped eating and he seemed weaker and more tired altogether. Couldn't get hold of the vet who we went to so we called our main vet who was kind enough to take us in at the end of the day even when he was fully booked. We all deemed that the best thing would be to have him put to sleep as it seemed like he may have suffered brain damage or something similar based on how stiff(best way to describe it) and uncoordinated his movements were even after the night. My vet was also nice enough to only make us pay the appointment fee and gave the general cremation for free too. He is such a great vet, I wish we could've gone to him in the first place but he was all booked the whole week so we did what we could. He was our last piggy so it's going to be really quiet in the house without his squeals for food breaking our ears haha.

Thank you everyone for the support in this situation. I've never had any responses on rat forums (yeah I'm a rat momma too) so the amount of concern and support here was heart warming. ♡

Rest in Peace Hapsu ?.?.2014-1.3.2019 ♡

I'm so sorry to hear this. Rest in peace little piggy.

Back