• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Anaesthetic safety

I think elective surgery is a whole new conversation for another day :)) I've had two boars neutered previously. It's a lot less invasive than any other surgery and with a vet who knows what they are doing the risks are minute

Lots of the rescue pigs we found were neutered. I did ask about neutering buzz whilst he was under and she said it's too much for him. Personally I'm far too anxious for it 🙈 I nearly keeled over when the cat was neutered. I'm not against elective, personally it ages my heart too much lol x

Lots of the rescue pigs we found were neutered. I did ask about neutering buzz whilst he was under and she said it's too much for him. Personally I'm far too anxious for it 🙈 I nearly keeled over when the cat was neutered. I'm not against elective, personally it ages my heart too much lol x

Yes it's definitely a difficult day when they go in. Luckily both my boars had sailed through

I was plopping my pants when i got my boar neutered. He was just old enough to be done. But yea the elective ops are the worst i think.even with using a top vet

I agree about it being too much for the heart.
My boy Finn hasn't lived long enough. He is only 1.5 years old and will be 2 years old around the thanksgiving time. He has plenty of time left for popcorning, nose rubbing, eating his favorite herbs and veggies.

My exotic vet was very specifically clear about my piggies having "high chances of not coming out of anesthesia".
I was never told about my other pets having "high chances of not coming out" like my piggies.

If it this help aswell. I have had a gerbil operated on, succesfully aswell by a pets at home vet. This was years ago.

I agree about it being too much for the heart.
My boy Finn hasn't lived long enough. He is only 1.5 years old and will be 2 years old around the thanksgiving time. He has plenty of time left for popcorning, nose rubbing, eating his favorite herbs and veggies.

My exotic vet was very specifically clear about my piggies having "high chances of not coming out of anesthesia".
I was never told about my other pets having "high chances of not coming out" like my piggies.

She didn't say high chances, she just said the risks are higher than with cats and dogs and that there is always a risk. Like she can't ever a promise an animal will be fine after any op no matter how simple. I'm the type that will ask the same question in every way possible to try and get the 'he will ace this surgery' answer I'm looking for. But it doesn't exist 😭 he SHOULD come out fine. I have honestly had about thirty appointments in a month for this abscess and we have tried different ways to drain it, them draining it, me draining it, manuka honey, two antibiotics, leaving it alone... If there was a way to avoid surgery we tried it. We didn't win. Buzz needs surgery to live his happy piggy life again now ❤️

She didn't say high chances, she just said the risks are higher than with cats and dogs and that there is always a risk. Like she can't ever a promise an animal will be fine after any op no matter how simple. I'm the type that will ask the same question in every way possible to try and get the 'he will ace this surgery' answer I'm looking for. But it doesn't exist 😭 he SHOULD come out fine. I have honestly had about thirty appointments in a month for this abscess and we have tried different ways to drain it, them draining it, me draining it, manuka honey, two antibiotics, leaving it alone... If there was a way to avoid surgery we tried it. We didn't win. Buzz needs surgery to live his happy piggy life again now ❤
I have had my other pets come out of surgery just fine.
Wish you the best.

I've had three pigs have anesthesia, one of them several times. Luckily, they all did well. There are risks with anesthesia, but it can be minimized by using an inhaled anesthesia, which is safer in small animals. One of my pigs had an abscess lanced and drained under anesthesia, one had an entire abscess capsule removed surgically under anesthesia, and the third had two or three dentals under anesthesia, plus an abscess lanced and drained. Try not to panic, most pigs do okay! I know it's hard when you want a guarantee... but unfortunately there are no absolute guarantees, even with people. But the odds are very much in his favor.

She said it's a gas anaesthetic? Sounds like he has to sit in a lunch box with gas in it til he falls asleep then he gets a little oxygen mask because you can't intubate a pig? So glad your piggies did great, it's very reassuring. I've got to take him in at 8.30 and he won't even be operated on til lunch time or after. So I'll be flapping and he will be going about his usual business lol. I wonder how woody will cope in a strange place without buzz whilst he's having the op. X

She said it's a gas anaesthetic? Sounds like he has to sit in a lunch box with gas in it til he falls asleep then he gets a little oxygen mask because you can't intubate a pig? So glad your piggies did great, it's very reassuring. I've got to take him in at 8.30 and he won't even be operated on til lunch time or after. So I'll be flapping and he will be going about his usual business lol. I wonder how woody will cope in a strange place without buzz whilst he's having the op. X
Same with Dot. She wasnt operated on until lucnh time. And i had to pack her a lunch box aswell lol

Actually @Betsy was the reason dot got a lunch box. I didnt think of it

Thursday. He's got to go in first thing for surgery at around lunchtime 😔
Will be thinking of you.
My Phoebe also goes into the Vet hospital on Thursday for a scan and other tests so will be sharing your anxiety that day.
Are you taking Harry in as company?
I’m taking all 3 of mine with a photo of Phoebe so they get the right pig!

I’m taking a bag of hay, some snuggles and a tub of their favourite veggies as well.

The photo of phoebe bit made me lol! So cute! Buzz's mate is called woody, he's quite a sensitive pig (very highly strung!). Harry was Ron's buddy but he passed away a couple of months back now after a chest infection. Ron now has a buddy called hagrid. I've also got to take a water bottle in when he goes in because they give them a bowl of water which he isn't used to. I'm sorry to hear you have to go through this too 😭

Sorry yes Woody is going in with him. They told me to bring him which surprised me. And they said bring a lunch box of all his usuals including his favourites and a water bottle if the bowl might be a problem x

Sending you hugs, these little furries are such a worry. I've had piggies recover from annaesetic very quickly and behave within a few hours as if nothing had happened. I know there's no point in telling you not to worry because you will anyway but it sounds like Buzz is in very good hands. I will be thinking of you on Thursday. Xx

Hope all goes well tomorrow

And to you with Phoebe. I have been to lidl and packed his lunch box full of his faves (kale, grapes, carrot, coriander and parsley). Need to remind myself that he won't have the op til early afternoon, otherwise I'll get worked up and feel ill by lunchtime when he won't even have had it yet! X

Back