1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This months Forum Photo Competition Winner is Powerpigs with Voltti click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Anselmo - Teeth Issues

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by Jaycey, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

I posted a week or two ago about Anselmo's wobbly head and thought we'd worked it out that it was to do with him going blind as his right eye reflects a silver colour when in the sun.

But today I gave him a piece of tomato and he was struggling to eat it. Instead of chewing through he shoved it all into his mouth and them struggled and pawed at his mouth as he obviously had too much in there.

I pulled it out, tore it in half and he managed to eat both pieces.

I looked at his mouth after he finished and his front teeth have started to slant. Also, I had him out for a cuddle for a little while and occasionally his jaw seems to be out of line. Not always, just sometimes.

I have no idea if it's all connected, but I wonder if the wobbly head, wonky teeth and jaw is all caused by some mental issue.

So, I'll be getting him in to see Simon ASAP (@furryfriends (TEAS) do you know if he'll be likely to see him this week?).

I weighed him last night and he's down, so I'll weigh him again tonight.

In the meantime, although he's a bladder sludge pig I've decided to up his pellet amount as he can pick those up and eat them without issue, and have given him some critical care (he helped himself to about 7 heaped teaspoons).

I'm hoping it's a one off issue but if it's relating to his balance then I doubt it is.

He's 7 years old now (estimated) and boyfriend and I have just had "the talk" to discuss his future. He's happy and eating at the moment but we'll start to prepare for the worst. I know Simon will be completely realistic with us too.

2. helen105281

Forum Donator 2016/17

It does sound like it could all be related especially now the incisors have slanted. We cancelled an appointment for the 10th, it was late afternoon I think. They may have filled it by now but you never know.

3. Flutterby

Forum Donator 2016/17

Poor little man, hopefully its something that can be rectified with a little bit of work!

4. furryfriends (TEAS)

furryfriends (TEAS) Forum Founder
    Senior Guinea Pig

Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
    How soon can you get him to vets? Ring at 8.30 and say it's an emergency. They should fit you in even if no appointments xx

sport_billy likes this.
  5. furryfriends (TEAS)

Senior Guinea Pig

Hang on @Poppy'sMum has an appt tomorrow that she's going to cancel.

6. furryfriends (TEAS)

Senior Guinea Pig

I'm pretty sure it's 3.30 tomorrow afternoon x

7. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

Thanks @furryfriends (TEAS) I'll definitely ring them at 8.30 am tomorrow and ask for an emergency appointment xx

sport_billy, Tim and eileen like this.
  8. Poppy'sMum

Forum Donator 2016/17

Mine was Tuesday at 3.30 if the receptionist hasn't cancelled it Jaycey if that's any good?

sport_billy likes this.
  9. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

Thanks @Poppy'sMum! I'll definitely ask about it and take whatever I can get.

He's currently having a bit of hay, so he's still interested in eating. I've snipped it a bit shorter so hopefully it won't be too hard for him to eat.

Thanks everyone xx

Poppy'sMum likes this.
  10. 3Tyger

Forum Donator 2016/17

Good luck to you & Anselmo, hope it goes well :hug:

Jaycey likes this.
  11. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

We're booked in for 4.10 today. There's a crash on the M1 at the moment so hopefully it'll be clear by then.

Anselmo is doing okay, he's eating a bit of his veg and still eating hay. He's mostly interested in pellets though. I guess because he doesn't normally have many and he doesn't need to use his front teeth to bite them. He's also having a bit of critical care on his own, when it's nice and warm and I can tempt him with a bit more if I put a drop of orange juice in it.

I'm wondering if it's caused by his wibbly head. He's having some water out of his bottle at the moment and he's really chewing on it, and I've noticed that the sounds he makes when he's eating and chattering his teeth at me are louder and more.. err.. crunchy, that's the best word I can think of describing it.

I'll update once we've got back home tonight.

helen105281 and sport_billy like this.
  12. Tim

Tim *Rescue Buddy*
    Forum Donator 2016/17

That's great you're getting him seen to today, will be thinking about you. Simon is fabulous! x

sport_billy likes this.
  13. Claire W

Forum Donator 2016/17

All the best for your boy xx

14. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

So, we're home with a batch of Zithromax to try and another appointment for two weeks.

Simon was very thorough in his checkup.

He confirmed that Anselmo isn't completely blind as he does react to light, but has a very progressed cataract in one eye and the other has a cloud, so his sight will be quite poor.

In regards to his wobbly head Simon also noticed that although he can stand up okay and doesn't fall over, he does stand with a widened stance as if to compensate for a feeling of off balance. That and the fact that he doesn't hold his head up when you pick him up suggests an inner ear problem.

We couldn't find any obvious lumps so it's we're trying zithromax in case it's an inner ear infection or a brewing tooth abscess.

His back teeth are perfect so he had his front ones filed straight.

At this moment in time we don't have any idea of whether this will fix him completely as when a pig has balance issues on both sides they tend not to recover fully as they have no grounding to rely on. But at this moment in time Anselmo is happy and eating.

I'll keep monitoring his weight and his eating and hopefully his wonky front teeth was a one off.

sport_billy, 3Tyger and helen105281 like this.
  15. Poppy'sMum

Forum Donator 2016/17

Glad to hear your appointment went well, we're back there in 2 weeks too :)

Jaycey likes this.
  16. eileen

Forum Donator 2016/17

i hope Anselmo gets better soonand you solve the balance problem.:hug:

Jaycey likes this.
  17. 3Tyger

Forum Donator 2016/17

Glad Anselmo got the treatment he needed for his teeth, and hoping very much that his balance improves :hug:

Big hugs to all of Simon's other patients & their owners as well :hug:

Poppy'sMum likes this.
  18. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

Thanks all for the well wishes.

Simon mentioned that we needed to watch his eating as Zithromax can affect appetite.

And I think Anselmo is one of those pigs. He was eating fine after his appointment but today he's not interested. He was looking for his food, and was sniffing at the front of the cage but he wouldn't take anything. I couldn't even tempt him with pellets.

I've not been able to take the day off work so I've got the PigCam set up. He's moved around the cage a bit so I'm hoping that means he's not bloated, but the food is all still there.

I've booked tomorrow off, but if he's not eating at least a little by Thursday morning I'm not sure what to do.

@furryfriends (TEAS) I've never used Zithromax before so don't know what signs to watch out for. Do you have any recommendations on getting him to eat again on his own?

sport_billy likes this.
  19. furryfriends (TEAS)

Senior Guinea Pig

I know a few people have had issues with Zithromax affecting the piggies appetite but I've never experienced this. We've used it a lot too. Right now we have four on it, with no issue. Step in with some syringe feeding and hopefully he'll soon pick up xx

sport_billy likes this.
  20. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

I think the not eating is more to do with his balance issues now that I've come home and looked at him again. His balance is alot worse than it has been previously. He's now finding it very difficult to move around. He will eat a little bit when I offer him a bit of veg but he definitely can't get himself in the right place to eat, and whenever I put it near him he moves away from it.

He is pooping still so at least he's had enough moving through him to suffice for now. I'm syringe feeding him now. His eyes look sparky enough but he really doesn't seem happy. I guess he's feeling very wonky.

Fingers crossed the antibiotic kicks in soon, otherwise he'll need to go back to the vet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.