1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This months Forum Photo Competition Winner is Powerpigs with Voltti click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Anselmo - Teeth Issues

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by Jaycey, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poppy'sMum

Forum Donator 2016/17

Is he on any pain relief Jaycey? Sukie is on Zithromax, once a day, Simon did say I could split the dose if it does affect her in any way, not sure what Debbie thinks ? Is that right Debbie? So far we haven't had any issues as yet, although I will say Sukie ate everything when we got her home & she was a bit picky on Sunday 2 days into having it, but she seems better today & eating really well. If he isn't on pain relief it sounds like he needs some x

2. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

Yeah, he has arthritis so was on 0.2ml twice a day of Metacam which we have upped to 0.25ml as advised by Simon.

At first I thought it best to keep him in his regular cage due to his poor eyesight and me not wanting him to get confused. But, he is struggling so much and is trying to get comfortable in his hay I've moved him to the small recovery cage to limit his movement.

He doesn't want to eat critical care but I've gotten 10 syringes into his very easily. He was propped up in one of their comfy beds and he seemd okay. He's having a look around now and then, and his eyes seem very full of life.

I really hope he improves overnight/tomorrow as I'm not going to be able to stay off to feed him on Thursday/Friday.

Poor little sausage, whatever this is it's really giving him what for.

3. furryfriends (TEAS)

furryfriends (TEAS) Forum Founder
    Senior Guinea Pig

Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
    What a worry! Hopefully the antibiotic will kick in soon and you will see some improvement xx

4. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

Thanks Debbie. He's completely stressing me out, I can't imagine how you cope everyday. We need to clone you as well as Uncle Simon and Auntie Kim! xx

Poppy'sMum likes this.
  5. Poppy'sMum

Forum Donator 2016/17

Have you tried syringe feeding softened pellets? Some of mine have hated CC in the past so I use ground up Burgess Blackcurrant ones now as mine prefer them x

6. eileen

Forum Donator 2016/17

I hope you see an improvement @Jaycey ,it is emotionally draining ,syringe feeding a dental piggie.I syringed fed Jerry for 7 months continously before he ate for himself.

7. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

Thanks @eileen. I'm really rubbish at it all, especially when I don't get enough sleep. Last time I had to do it I had to ask one of my friends who has pigs to take over for a few days.

At least Anselmo is willing at the moment. I really think it's just the disorientation that's bothering him.... hopefully.

8. furryfriends (TEAS)

Senior Guinea Pig

Oh I have days when I really feel like I am losing it! I wake in the morning and everything is normal for the first couple of seconds and then I physically shake because I worry what I am going to find when I go and check on everyone. My life, for the past 8 years has pretty much revolved around syringe feeding. I have had a few weeks off, but generally as soon as one comes good, another arrives needing help. Tonight I am feeding 5. However, it doesn't matter if you are doing one or five, it is still stressful and worrying. Keeping everything crossed that you can see an improvement by tomorrow xx

9. furryfriends (TEAS)

Senior Guinea Pig

Any improvement this morning? xx

10. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

I've not got him out of his cage yet as I have to take boyfriend to work but he's still in the same position as last night.

I mixed up some CC for him but tried offering him some veg and he's wolfing it down. I've left some hay seeds next to him and he's chomping through them.

His eyes are very bright and alert still which I'm really happy about. He has pooped too which is good.

He seems like he really wants to eat now but he can't coordinate himself to be able to get it himself.

How are your patients today? xx

11. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

So, I've gotten him up so I can clean his cage. He's had a good wee and lots of little poops overnight.

His head movements seem to have gotten alot better but the issue has travelled down to his back legs. He can't/won't use them. I've given him a little wash as he had a bit of wee of him and his back right leg is okay but he won't use it. His left leg seems to be worse, he doesn't seem to acknowledge that it's there.

He's eating bits of veg that I give him, and I'm giving him a few syringes of CC throughout the day.

Hopefully the leg problem will improve as quickly as his balance issue yesterday. Would an infection cause randomness like this, one minute complete balance loss then not being able to use your back legs, very odd.

I'm not sure whether to ring the vet and update them. They won't be able to do anything for him though, we just need to ride today out, see how things go.

20170111_091546.jpg

12. furryfriends (TEAS)

Senior Guinea Pig

I think it sounds neurological. I'm wondering if panacur might help. Give Simon a ring xx

13. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

Thanks Debbie. I've left Simon a message and grabbed a Panaur from the pet shop, just in case he says go ahead xx

14. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

I've got the go ahead to try it. I got the rabbit version of panacur, so I'll try him with half a graduation as that would be equal to his weight.

I'm going to give it to him tomorrow, as I'm a bit wary of giving him so many medications, along with him not eating properly is likely to make him a bit gassy.

15. Claire W

Forum Donator 2016/17

Bless him.

Still sending lots of healing vibes xx

Jaycey likes this.
  16. 3Tyger

Forum Donator 2016/17

Hope he starts picking up soon, i've had piggies with dental issues in the past and it was a very anxious time with barely any sleep. Best wishes to you & stay strong Anselmo! :hug:

17. furryfriends (TEAS)

Senior Guinea Pig

18. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

He's still the same @furryfriends (TEAS). He's more upright, but he's still not walking at all. He's really not happy about using his back legs, one he will move but the other he really won't move on his own. He's still got a little bit of a wobbly head but nothing anywhere near like it was.

I can't work out what has happened to his back leg but I have two thoughts in mind:
    1) It's the infection/issue and hopefully the Zithromax and Panacur might help
    2) He's sprained'/hurt his leg on Tuesday when he was having the worst of his balance issues. He did fall on his side a few times. He does have pretty bad arthritis and had to see Simon sometime in Oct (I think) when he stopped using on of his front legs.

Either way there's not much I, or Simon can do in the short term. So I need to give him a few more days to see what happens.

He is eating sometimes, but not enough of his own and is being very picky.

He is pooping, but this morning they were a lot smaller than normal, so he's obviously not eating enough. I've got to feed him more, but it's tough as I'm at work now so can only get 2 or 3 feeds in.

I have left him surrounded by hay seeds (which he does eat), different hays and some veg. And watching him on PigCam he's turned around a few times and has been eating.

19. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

Me not being around during the day for the past two days has put us back a bit. He will eat a little bit on his own but as time passes he's becoming more fussy on what he'll have. Last night he would only nibble on hay. He wouldn't even try his dill and he would normally kill for a piece of dill.

His poops are getting smaller but they're still coming so today I will be trying to get as much syringe food into him that I can. I'm also going to try him with some poop soup to see if that helps stimulate his digestive system a bit.

His weight is slowly decreasing, he's just over 1 kg now compared to 1090g on Monday. Not massive but I need it to stop.

He's still bright and alert although this morning he was very snuffly and so is in his nebuliser at the moment. He did have a good wiggle as I was trying to put him in so he's still fighting.

He seems to be slowly becoming more aware of his back legs. He is standing up again and I have seen him move them although they're not coordinated yet.

He still has something wrong with his mouth. When he will eat he'll quite happily chew a big piece of lettuce or a long hay seed but he can't bite through things. He was having a bite at the Metacam box yesterday and he's only leaving dents in it, not biting through it.

20. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

He's just been out for another top up of syringe food and we've found something he wants to eat... his own poops. Go ahead little buddy! Obviously his tum isn't feeling great so he's had a bit more probiotic.

After a couple of ml he decided to try a bit of hay.

His front teeth are starting to slant a little again but I think that's understandable at the moment as he's not completely back to normal balance wise yet.

If he's not improving soon I'll contact Simon to see if he wants me to bring him in early on his appointment to x-ray or scan him.

Here he is having a chew on a seed head. It took quite a while as he couldn't bite through the stalk like he usually does, but he looks like his normal self.

20170114_134349.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.