• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Any Healing Vibes To Spare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Rosie had bladder stones removed at the end of March all was going good until recently she started to show signs of an infection. A nice long course of septrin and metacam seemed to do the trick until about a week ago, this time she was straining and lifting her bottom while weeing, Back to the vets for more metacam and septrin. Over the weekend she was rushed to the vets and monitored and told to come back today for a further check-up. So off she goes and now she is not only straining but actually standing on tiptoes to pass urine, My daughter asks for an x-ray but was told not yet necessary but to try steroids instead. This evening Rosie is rushed back to the vets, I'm imagining the worst outcome but the brilliant vet decides to give Rosie an x-ray and unfortunately it shows stones again she has also taken a urine sample to culture. Never been offered this before. I have decided to let them operate to try and relieve the problem. To me it seems I have no choice. Unless she is peeing she is still incredibly perky and active. My way of thinking is that give her the chance but if she passes when under the G.A it would be pain free and we would have the knowledge that we have tried everything rather than have her pts without trying. x

If it's any consolation I am the same as you; I've spent a 4 figure sum on my bladder piggy, so I completely understand :( xx

All fingers &paws crossed here for Rosies speedy recovery.
Big bucket fulls of healing vibes being sent your way too.

Come on Rosie-u can do it :nod:
:luv:

Luv The girls &I xx

Wishing Rosie a speedy and safe recovery xx

Thanks for all your good wishes, we really appreciate them. Poppy's mum,That's a lot of money are you anywhere near a solution to the problem. Because of Rosie's age (5 1/2yrs) after this op I'm not sure I would want to put her through another if that were the case so any advice would be good. Maybe there could be a sticky concerning bladder issues e.g tips and advice on diet that sort of thing (unless I've missed that one :D)

You and Rosie are in my thoughts and vibes are heading your way....
It's such a worry. I also spent a small fortune on my bladder piggy, around £900 - £1000 over the year she had her problems, but her's was infections, not stones.
I hope she stays strong and lives a good long problem-free life afterwards x

Fingers cross for the op, my boy Junior (RIP) went through two bladder stone surgeries and each time he bounced back,
though before the second op his weight went from 1250g to 680g and the vet says he was in a bad way if they didn't operate
then and there he wouldn't be well enough to operate on as he was already super thin and poorly, but my little trooper fought back
and 3 days after surgery he was as if he had a spring in his step over two months we managed to get his weight up to 1460g
and he stayed that weight for months.

This is his bladder stones the small one was surgery 1 and big one from surgery 2

jack010-2.jpg

Fingers cross for the op, my boy Junior (RIP) went through two bladder stone surgeries and each time he bounced back,
though before the second op his weight went from 1250g to 680g and the vet says he was in a bad way if they didn't operate
then and there he wouldn't be well enough to operate on as he was already super thin and poorly, but my little trooper fought back
and 3 days after surgery he was as if he had a spring in his step over two months we managed to get his weight up to 1460g
and he stayed that weight for months.

This is his bladder stones the small one was surgery 1 and big one from surgery 2

View attachment 31489
:eek: That 2nd one is huge! The poor little love! Very glad he bounced back :)

Thanks for all your good wishes, we really appreciate them. Poppy's mum,That's a lot of money are you anywhere near a solution to the problem. Because of Rosie's age (5 1/2yrs) after this op I'm not sure I would want to put her through another if that were the case so any advice would be good. Maybe there could be a sticky concerning bladder issues e.g tips and advice on diet that sort of thing (unless I've missed that one :D)
Yes it's a lot of money, she's not insured :( My other 2 are now though :) Well she is 5 now & has had bladder problems for the last 3 years, she's had bladder flushes etc & a hysterectomy as she was also having womb problems. She is having a good phase atm, she is on a low dose of Metacam daily plus a monthly Cartrophen jab plus a small dose of Potassium Citrate daily. She's also had Cerenia too. No stones as yet (Touch wood !) so hopefully we are keeping those at bay. I've had 2 previous females pass urinary stones through the opening, one needed manipulation. My vet & I are monitoring her closely, so far she is comfy & has had at least a few extra years of life :) I trust my vet will tell me when enough is enough. It is a huge amount of money but when I see her snuggled up to Daisy her daughter (My pic) & them washing each other's faces i think it has been worth it :) I might not have a smart wardrobe full of nice clothes but they give me such joy so I would do the same all over again :)

Poppy's mum, I will be writing all that down and discussing that plus Rosie's future treatment with the vet, it's given me a lot to think about. After her 1st op I was kind of told it would probably have to be her last. Doesn't seem all doom and gloom now.

Yes it's a lot of money, she's not insured :( My other 2 are now though :) Well she is 5 now & has had bladder problems for the last 3 years, she's had bladder flushes etc & a hysterectomy as she was also having womb problems. She is having a good phase atm, she is on a low dose of Metacam daily plus a monthly Cartrophen jab plus a small dose of Potassium Citrate daily. She's also had Cerenia too. No stones as yet (Touch wood !) so hopefully we are keeping those at bay. I've had 2 previous females pass urinary stones through the opening, one needed manipulation. My vet & I are monitoring her closely, so far she is comfy & has had at least a few extra years of life :) I trust my vet will tell me when enough is enough. It is a huge amount of money but when I see her snuggled up to Daisy her daughter (My pic) & them washing each other's faces i think it has been worth it :) I might not have a smart wardrobe full of nice clothes but they give me such joy so I would do the same all over again :)
Forgive me @Midge&Panda from digressing from Rosie's treatment but may I just quickly ask - @Poppy'sMum who do you use for insurance? Is the insurance connected to the vet practice you use or is it a stand-alone company that you can use for any vet practice>
Thank you :)

Last edited:
Good luck, I hope everything goes well :)

and wow that stone is big.. we had a guinea pig pts in April because of two stones.. the idiot vet was making him wait 6 days to have them removed after another vet at a different practice diagnosed him incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back