• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Anything new in the IC world?

Cavy Kung-Fu

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys, hope everyone is doing well!

I was just wondering if there was any new info or advice for IC pigs as Iggy is having another flare up. I’m considering cutting out all veg and trying an elimination diet to see if there’s something I’m missing.

We’ve just started some sulfatrim as that often helps the flare ups for some reason and I’m just thinking of other ways to help more long term.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys as always x

Oh no, poor Iggy! IC is such a nasty illness. I’m not going to be the biggest help on here but one of our girls has been diagnosed recently and we‘re currently going through the whole elimination diet process. That together with 1 capsule of Cystease per day has already made such a difference. She still has the occasional squeak when toileting which we can‘t seem to get rid off but she seems happy so I‘m not going to worry about it too much. I‘m keeping a food diary for her to make sure I don’t mix anything up as I found that to be rather easy to do.

I wish your piggy & you all the best and hopefully the flare up settles down quickly! x

Oh no, poor Iggy! IC is such a nasty illness. I’m not going to be the biggest help on here but one of our girls has been diagnosed recently and we‘re currently going through the whole elimination diet process. That together with 1 capsule of Cystease per day has already made such a difference. She still has the occasional squeak when toileting which we can‘t seem to get rid off but she seems happy so I‘m not going to worry about it too much. I‘m keeping a food diary for her to make sure I don’t mix anything up as I found that to be rather easy to do.

I wish your piggy & you all the best and hopefully the flare up settles down quickly! x
It is isn’t it? He’s struggled with it for 4 years and we’ve had our ups and downs. I use something similar to cystease but I might try switching brands to see if it helps. What veg do you normally feed? It’s such a weird illness so it’s always nice to hear from others, thanks so much :) x

Hello and welcome back.
Poor Iggy. It’s no fun. Holly also has IC. I now filter their drinking water, feed grain free pellets and feed a rather boring selection of veggies each day. No root veg.Just celery, cucumber, green bean, pepper and coriander. We have pretty much got it under control thank goodness, now that we have found the veg that don’t cause her a flare.

Hi just curious as I use Cystease.. wondered how you give it?

Hello and welcome back.
Poor Iggy. It’s no fun. Holly also has IC. I now filter their drinking water, feed grain free pellets and feed a rather boring selection of veggies each day. No root veg.Just celery, cucumber, green bean, pepper and coriander. We have pretty much got it under control thank goodness, now that we have found the veg that don’t cause her a flare.
This is pretty much what the girls all have now...although they often reject a perfectly good green bean!

Hi just curious as I use Cystease.. wondered how you give it?
I always mix 2 capsules of cystease with approx. 4ml of water and give her 1ml twice a day. Lasts me two days and I keep the already mixed stuff in the fridge. She thankfully quite likes it so there‘s no fighting with getting it into her! How do you give it if you don’t mind me asking?

It is isn’t it? He’s struggled with it for 4 years and we’ve had our ups and downs. I use something similar to cystease but I might try switching brands to see if it helps. What veg do you normally feed? It’s such a weird illness so it’s always nice to hear from others, thanks so much :) x
Awww poor boy! It’s so awful when they are in pain and you can’t do much to help. We’ve only dealt with Pewter’s synoptics for a few months and her IC seems to be quite mild compared to what I read from others. So I can’t complain too much!

We used to feed cucumber, spring greens, coriander, pepper, and whichever treat veg we had in the fridge (usually green beans, baby corn, or beetroot). When she was diagnosed a few weeks ago we completely stopped all veg until her symptoms were mostly gone. Since then we‘ve slowly introduced cucumber, green pepper, and coriander again. We also tried little gem lettuce but that was a big no-no! I haven‘t 100% decided what I‘m going to introduce next but probably romaine lettuce. I‘m a bit reluctant to feeding spring greens again as she gets quite gassy from it.

I agree, it’s such a strange illness and seems to be so different for every piggy! I‘m also always glad to hear from others, makes me feel less alone with it all :) x

Thanks Betsy, hope you’re doing well! :) x
Well I'm fine but I lost Christian and Dennis within 4 days of each other at the end of November/beginning December last year, Meg was really ill last May and I adopted Patsy in September. So it's been a rollercoaster ride of emotions with my piggies this past year!

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate your help and reassurance it means a lot. I often worry that he’s not having the quality of life that he should when he has flare ups and it’s so upsetting.

I tend to do romaine lettuce, cucumber, peppers, celery and French beans with the occasional spring greens or chard. Sometimes I mix in some herbs like dill, basil, mint and coriander to add a bit of interest. I don’t know if any of those ring alarm bells?

We also tried little gem lettuce but that was a big no-no! I haven‘t 100% decided what I‘m going to introduce next but probably romaine lettuce.

That’s so interesting he has recently had some little gem... Well we can add it to the “hell no” list aha. I wish I knew why certain foods caused problems!

Well I'm fine but I lost Christian and Dennis within 4 days of each other at the end of November/beginning December last year, Meg was really ill last May and I adopted Patsy in September. So it's been a rollercoaster ride of emotions with my piggies this past year!
Aw that’s awful I’m so sorry to hear that! That must have been so hard. These fluffy devils give us a real ride with the emotions don’t they? X

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate your help and reassurance it means a lot. I often worry that he’s not having the quality of life that he should when he has flare ups and it’s so upsetting.

I tend to do romaine lettuce, cucumber, peppers, celery and French beans with the occasional spring greens or chard. Sometimes I mix in some herbs like dill, basil, mint and coriander to add a bit of interest. I don’t know if any of those ring alarm bells?

That’s so interesting he has recently had some little gem... Well we can add it to the “hell no” list aha. I wish I knew why certain foods caused problems!
Coriander is fine for Pewter, we don’t really give many other fresh herbs because we never have any in haha. She gets the odd basil leaf but she seems fine with that too.

I know, it all just seems so random! Pewter had some squeaky wees/poos tonight, god only knows what’s caused it. Maybe the dried dill I mixed in their hay last night. I‘ll add that to my „hell no“ list for now haha!

Hi, I have heard that dill has caused problems for some IC piggies. I used to avoid it with my pig who had IC.

I always mix 2 capsules of cystease with approx. 4ml of water and give her 1ml twice a day. Lasts me two days and I keep the already mixed stuff in the fridge. She thankfully quite likes it so there‘s no fighting with getting it into her! How do you give it if you don’t mind me asking?
Well I have been adding 2 capsules to some water but not actually measuring how much water and giving it her once a day (about 4ml) ... I think maybe I am not doing it right! She is also on pain relief (1ml twice a day) but maybe the cyst ease twice a day will be better for her.... Its so hard at times to know if she is in pain or just fussing... I did stop her pain relief for 2 days and she was making more noises so started it again.

Ooh interesting, well guess I’m going back to basics on the pig food, I feel sorry for the girls as they’re going through the same diet as him 🙈

Well I have been adding 2 capsules to some water but not actually measuring how much water and giving it her once a day (about 4ml) ... I think maybe I am not doing it right! She is also on pain relief (1ml twice a day) but maybe the cyst ease twice a day will be better for her.... Its so hard at times to know if she is in pain or just fussing... I did stop her pain relief for 2 days and she was making more noises so started it again.
I’ve just upped the cystassist tablets I give Iggy but I was giving 1 tablet per 1ml of water.

May I ask what pain relief? Iggy’s on metacam/loxicom 0.5mls twice a day so I’m curious!

Ooh interesting, well guess I’m going back to basics on the pig food, I feel sorry for the girls as they’re going through the same diet as him 🙈

I’ve just upped the cystassist tablets I give Iggy but I was giving 1 tablet per 1ml of water.

May I ask what pain relief? Iggy’s on metacam/loxicom 0.5mls twice a day so I’m curious!
same pain relief but 1ml a day but she has been on that quite some time now... probably contact the vet to double check - hard to know !

same pain relief but 1ml a day but she has been on that quite some time now... probably contact the vet to double check - hard to know !
Ah same as Iggy then, the dosage has crept up over the years he used to be fine on 0.3ml twice a day... It is hard isn’t it?

Does anyone find that the painful wees tend to be at night? I mentioned that to Kim from Cat & Rabbit and she said quite a few people find that. Who knows why but Iggy tends to get most his painful ones in the evening :(

Back