Are heated cat/small pet beds safe?

wheek!guinea

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a heated cat or small pet bed (the covered ones). Obviously with the summer coming up it wouldn't be needed and my piggies live inside. But do guinea pigs like to be snuggled in warmth like that?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If they need to be plugged into the electricity then it’s best to avoid such things with rodents.
You can get microwaveable heat pads called Snugglesafes which are the safest option. They stay warm for up to 10 hours. My boys live in my shed so in winter for me snugglesafes are a necessity, I just pop them under fleece tunnels/beds or under log huts and my piggies love to sit on or near them.

Pound Shilling & Pig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:agr: with @Piggies&buns. Also they don't need to snuggle up warm in the way cats like to do, who tend to be sun worshipers. It is dangerous for them to over heat as they can't sweat and can only lose heat by direct transfer which is why when they get hot they flatten themselves and stick their legs out to maximise their surface area.

Posyrose

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I have heated stainless steel puppy pads that are plugged into the mains but have steel around the cord and designed for pets that chew leads! They're from Flexiguard and on Amazon. They have low constant heat. Even in this nice weather my boys often choose to be on their pads, they're in a large cage so have lots of choice. I was going to take them out for the summer but I don't think that would go down very well! Spoiled piggies :)