• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Awkward Eaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt McCherry

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Finding it hard to feed my piggies some variety, there's a lot of 'does' and 'don'ts' to feeding but it seems that most of the 'don'ts' are things they like! (things that should not be fed often).
Any ideas for daily feeds for Muffin and Donut?

They like Lettuce, Broccoli, Cucumber, Spinach, Kale and Cherry Tomatoes (without the seeds). They love any fruit but I know I can't feed them it all the time!
They don't seem to like; Peppers, Corn, Carrots, Courgette (zucchini) and Celery

They do have nuggets but they don't tend to eat a lot of them maybe about 20grams each a day. They also have access to about 1kg of hay a week, we do give them a lot because they absolutely love burying themselves in it. (I do get rid of it daily and change the hay). They probably

I am looking for more stuff to give them some variety because a lot of the stuff they like is a bit too high in calcium, I don't want any more problems in the future (lots of vet visits recently!).

Coriander and parsley go down well. Try Celery leaves too

Noticed courgette on your list... yet to meet a piggy that will eat it :))

Will I be able to feed them daily. Good idea though, i've not thought to do some herbs. Yeah they ate some Courgette at the start, but now dont touch it!

Coriander can be fed frequently parsley is high calcium like spinach

We alternate Coriander and lettuce each day

Also just remember hay should 75-80% of diet and treats should only be 5%. My piggies are happiest with lettuce carrots and cucumber with occasional fruit (today they had a small piece of pineapple so that's what I stick with

They have unlimited hay pretty much at the minute as well as about 40grams each of veg a day. Not sure if thats too much? As well as 20grams each of nuggets. I only give them fruit once a week. (Fruit Fridays)

mine have the following every day - cucumber, pepper, green beans

alternate variety of spring green / cabbage or red cabbage for dinner along with dill

either little gem or romaine lettuce for breakfast

herb for breakfast is alternated between coriander & parsley

fruit not very often and carrot not very often. x

Try cauliflower leaves - some supermarkets chop most of them off, but Asda serm to leave more attached! As long as they are nice and fresh I find most piggies will tuck in.

To add to the fussy eaters list; has some green beans in and they didn't touch them at all. Picky piggies or what! Will try coriander and parsley when I go to the shops tomorrow!

To add to the fussy eaters list; has some green beans in and they didn't touch them at all. Picky piggies or what! Will try coriander and parsley when I go to the shops tomorrow!

Mine adore coriander and parsley. Dill is not a hit. Red pepper, carrot, cucumber and broccoli are usually well received. Yellow pepper is a poor substitute for red, and don't even think about giving green pepper as that's always left in the bowl. Only certain sorts of fine beans are appreciated and just when I buy a packet they seem to go off them. Cherry tomato is only accepted in one cage. In the other cage mint is treated like it stinks of sewage and the piggies avoid it at all costs. Romaine lettuce is always a hit, but rocket is treated the same way my kids did when I gave them chilli for the first time. Fussy little blighters indeed.

Favorites in our house are peppers, carrot, coriander, parsley, watermelon and mange tout.
But if I am totally honest the ultimate treat is fresh cut grass (hand cut obviously) or a big fat dandelion leaf, both of which are free (at least until the back lawn is covered in 3 feet of snow).

Mine love coriander!
They also like spring greens and surprisingly they really like parsnips (they smell bad to me)
There was some in the garden from last year and Lucky found it and ate it! I was so confused when I saw that he was digging something up and eating it :D

They also eat the things you listed and they like all of them, especially tomatoes, peppers and carrots.

Mine loved coriander too.... almost his favourite. Then one day he just decided he hates it! I've tried it a few times since, but he still refuses to eat it.

Same with apples.

At the moment he likes parsley, mixed salad leaves, cucumber, peppers (any colour), sometimes carrot or tomato, pear, melon....... think that's everything.

Tonight he tried banana peel for the first time and it seemed to be a hit.

Sometimes you have to be persistent and waste a few £'s. My avatar pig was a rescue and would literally only eat carrots. Obviously that's not the best diet for him, so I had to really try to get him to eat other things.

I honestly think I must have wasted pieces of red pepper for a month, but eventually he ate some. Nowadays he will eat almost anything (he can be fussy over different fruits sometimes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back