• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Baby Guinea pig barely eats and drinks

Niyu_Kata

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I just got a g/p today and I suppose its understandable that its scared and shy. I am a bit troubled though since it hasnt drunk any water and only ate very little. Is there anything I can do or will it eventually eat on its own?​

They’re most likely very unsettled so best give them a few days before you handle them, that way they can get used to their new home. Make sure they have lots of hay and fresh water daily, and a cup of veg per pig every day x

As piggy is still new you need to leave him/her to settle in. Perhaps cover the cage with a blanket. Put the food and hay near his/her hide. They only drink what they need as most water they get from their veg.

Hay makes up the largest part of their diet so make sure there is plenty available. Pellets only a tablespoon a day. And 50g of veg. I will link in some guides below for you to read. If muesli is the only option then it’s best not to feed them that at all

I notice you say a guinea pig. Are you planning to get him/her a friend? They are very social animals and need constant company of their own kind. No amount of you interacting with them will do.

Best thing to do is get a same sex piggy. Cage size is important as well, more so with boys. Boys need minimum 150x60cm (180x60cm would be much better). Girls need minimum 120x60cm (if you can go bigger then all the better).

Do you know how old (s)he is? If under four months then company is even more important.

Lastly :wel: . We love pigtures and to know more about your piggy so do go introduce yourself and start a thread for your boy/girl. In the meantime have a read of the guides linked below.
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Companionship
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

Back