• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Baby Guinea Pig Spazzing Out?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabby

New Born Pup
Reaction score
alright so I have a male baby Guinea pig and last night when I picked him up and tried holding him he started to like freak out, he would kind of jump around but then he would lay on his side like rubbing his ear idk how to explain it. I do know what popcorning is and it define it'll didn't seem like that's what he wa doing. He's the only piggy I have right now, I keep his cage clean and everything. I thought maybe mites? But he only did that when I held him so I'm not sure if it's normal or not? He just did it today as well but then he calmed down and now he's chillin on my shoulder, anyone know what's wrong? He's eating and drinking fine I have him out of his cage about 8 or so hours a day to run around

alright so I have a male baby Guinea pig and last night when I picked him up and tried holding him he started to like freak out, he would kind of jump around but then he would lay on his side like rubbing his ear idk how to explain it. I do know what popcorning is and it define it'll didn't seem like that's what he was doing. He's the only piggy I have right now, I keep his cage clean and everything. I thought maybe mites? But he only did that when I held him so I'm not sure if it's normal or not? He just did it today as well but then he calmed down and now he's chillin on my shoulder, anyone know what's wrong? He's eating and drinking fine I have him out of his cage about 8 or so hours a day to run around

The thing is they may freak out due to the fact they are prey animals and really get scared by the getting out of the cage process. Have you tried the tunnel catching method to get him out and onto your lap or for playtime?

The thing is they may freak out due to the fact they are prey animals and really get scared by the getting out of the cage process. Have you tried the tunnel catching method to get him out and onto your lap or for playtime?
I've had him for a month now and it just started last night, he was always fine with being held because he loves sleeping up on my shoulder so I thought it was very strange. He eventually calmed down but it looked like he was having a seizure it definitely wasn't popcorning

Buddy used to popcorn like that when I first got him. I thought the same. He was right on his side wiggling about lol.

Buddy used to popcorn like that when I first got him. I thought the same. He was right on his side wiggling about lol.
It's just very strange lol it's like something was in his we bothering him...his popcorning is just the usual bouncing up and down and running around. I'm not sure what's wrong with him. He's eating and drinking just fine. He did have crusty eyes after I bought him but I took him to the vet and he's fine now

Could he have a mite infestation? I read somewhere that if the mites get bad it can hurt the skin and it can cause the piggies to almost have seizures out of pain when touched. Maybe the fact that you touched him caused him so much pain and that's why he spazzed out like that.
I would also have initially said fear but if you say he's normally fine with being handled then it's worth looking further as it doesn't sound normal.
Maybe also an ear infection? If you say it seemed to be his ear specifically bothering him.

If in doubt, please have him vet checked. Hopefully, it is just another stage in his behaviour as you slowly build up trust and your piggy is gradually coming out more of himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back