• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Baby, new companion and mites

Katsycakes

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Tragically we lost our little Waffle over the weekend to an unknown ailment despite a number of vet visits, but after she passed she had quite a number of lice on her. We took her sister Patch to the vets (Bromley Common), who were wonderful and told us she had a clean bill of health, but gave us mite & lice treatment as a precaution, although she couldn't see anything on her, to put on twice, two weeks apart.

We put on the first treatment Saturday night (she did not like us very much after that), but now we're starting to think about finding her another companion but we're not sure how to proceed considering she is obviously under treatment and potentially at risk of passing something on. She's only 10 weeks old so we're really keen to find her someone as soon as possible.

We've been in touch with a number of rescues, one of which has a lovely 4 month old sow who would be a nice match in age for her, as well as a few 10 month olds, but I'm not sure if at her age it's best to ensure we do piggie dating to find her someone she's going to get along with? I obviously wouldn't bring her to the rescue with a potential mite problem, but I also wouldn't want to wait a full month for the mite treatment to be completely finished. Would love some advice as I'm really unsure of the best course forward and really want to do what's best for little Patch.

We do have the space and C&C parts to set up another spacious cage in another part of the house if quarantine is needed, but imagine it's best to leave the piggie at the shelter with other piggies nearby than pop her alone in another room for a full month?

At ten weeks of age, companionship overtakes anything else. I would speak to the rescue directly and tell them what is going on. I would still take her dating, it’s the best way for them to find a companion.

Having said that, treatment shouldn’t be done ‘as a precaution’. If there’s no evidence then it’s better not to.

Good luck finding her a friend and I’m sorry for your loss 💓

Hi,

Tragically we lost our little Waffle over the weekend to an unknown ailment despite a number of vet visits, but after she passed she had quite a number of lice on her. We took her sister Patch to the vets (Bromley Common), who were wonderful and told us she had a clean bill of health, but gave us mite & lice treatment as a precaution, although she couldn't see anything on her, to put on twice, two weeks apart.

We put on the first treatment Saturday night (she did not like us very much after that), but now we're starting to think about finding her another companion but we're not sure how to proceed considering she is obviously under treatment and potentially at risk of passing something on. She's only 10 weeks old so we're really keen to find her someone as soon as possible.

We've been in touch with a number of rescues, one of which has a lovely 4 month old sow who would be a nice match in age for her, as well as a few 10 month olds, but I'm not sure if at her age it's best to ensure we do piggie dating to find her someone she's going to get along with? I obviously wouldn't bring her to the rescue with a potential mite problem, but I also wouldn't want to wait a full month for the mite treatment to be completely finished. Would love some advice as I'm really unsure of the best course forward and really want to do what's best for little Patch.

We do have the space and C&C parts to set up another spacious cage in another part of the house if quarantine is needed, but imagine it's best to leave the piggie at the shelter with other piggies nearby than pop her alone in another room for a full month?

Hi!

I am very sorry for your loss!

Please speak to the rescue re. the ongoing precautionary lice treatment from your vets. Since your girl's own immune system should be strong enough to suppress them in addition to the treatment, there shouldn't be a risk of her carrying in any. A bath the day before should take care of it; but that is the rescue's decision. These situations are always best sorted in dialogue with the place you want to adopt from.

Mutual liking and character compability come a long way before age or gender. You can also consider neutered boars since cross gender bonds are the most stable piggy bonds of all and at her young age hardly ever fail.
Since the average life expectancy of a healthy piggy on a good high hay/low pellets and sugary veg or fruit (including carrots) diet is 5-7 years, a few months or even a year one way or other doesn't make much of a difference in my own experience and can be of advantage if a youngster is still at an age when they are wired to look for a guardian to teach and protect them.

Please be aware that we can guarantee only for the carefully vetted good welfare standard rescues listed in our rescue locator. Anybody in the English speaking world can call themselves a rescue or a breeder without licence or regular checks, and the results can be accordingly as well as any shade in between.

Rescue Locator (link to other countried below UK map)

Thank you both so much! The rescue is GBH in Beckenham - not listed on the rescue locator but a search through the forum had a lot of wonderful posts about them.

I'll get in touch with the rescue and see what she wants to do, really appreciate all the advice after such an emotional weekend!

Thank you both so much! The rescue is GBH in Beckenham - not listed on the rescue locator but a search through the forum had a lot of wonderful posts about them.

I'll get in touch with the rescue and see what she wants to do, really appreciate all the advice after such an emotional weekend!

Please accept that as a forum we cannot guarantee for this rescue. Our vetting process extends far beyond the public front.

There’s one in Coulsdon. Have a look on the rescue locator.

Having called around without much luck we've settled on attempting the bond with the little 4 month old sow - due to the ongoing pandemic the rescue aren't carrying out their usual dating so we've agreed to try out the introduction ourselves with the proviso that we can bring her back if everything goes south and they don't get on.

We're collecting her tomorrow and I've read all the guides (and pages and pages of bonding posts!) on here but I wanted to confirm - I understand that because Patch is only 11 weeks old her need for companionship outweighs the need for a quarantine, but are we better to put them in side by side cages for one night to calm down the new arrival? Bringing back Patch and Waffle the first 24 hours or so they were absolutely terrified and I know that the guides suggest side by side living for a few days to let the new pig settle in before bonding but wasn't sure if that still applies with the existing pig so young.

Hoping that I can be back in a couple of days with some pics for you all of a happily bonded pair! 🤞

I think it's okay to give her a night but then you should be okay to bond them tomorrow. Can't wait for the photos. How old is the girl you're bonding with Patch?

Wonderful! Thank you! Here’s a picture in the meantime of little Patch.

The new sow is around 4 months old. We’re driving up to pick her up tomorrow morning. She’s got beautiful rosettes and I’ve tentatively named her Bramble, but trying not to get too attached until after the bonding has come off successfully!

Attachments

• 2CA895E8-DB0C-4B9C-A7D1-1FD0A9DF2AE2.jpeg
    2CA895E8-DB0C-4B9C-A7D1-1FD0A9DF2AE2.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 13
Having called around without much luck we've settled on attempting the bond with the little 4 month old sow - due to the ongoing pandemic the rescue aren't carrying out their usual dating so we've agreed to try out the introduction ourselves with the proviso that we can bring her back if everything goes south and they don't get on.

We're collecting her tomorrow and I've read all the guides (and pages and pages of bonding posts!) on here but I wanted to confirm - I understand that because Patch is only 11 weeks old her need for companionship outweighs the need for a quarantine, but are we better to put them in side by side cages for one night to calm down the new arrival? Bringing back Patch and Waffle the first 24 hours or so they were absolutely terrified and I know that the guides suggest side by side living for a few days to let the new pig settle in before bonding but wasn't sure if that still applies with the existing pig so young.

Hoping that I can be back in a couple of days with some pics for you all of a happily bonded pair! 🤞

I prefer to bond babies straight away, too. All they want is a place to belong and somepig to take care of them.
Please read the chapter on baby bonding as well as the rest. Any bonding at home is nerve-wracking.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

I think I would get straight on with the bonding once you’ve got her home, personally. Your 10 week old will be craving company.
I know it can be tense doing your own bonding, but with luck their ages will make them more amenable to pairing up together.
will wait to hear the updates....

We’ve got little Bramble back home now and we’ve popped her in with Patch in a neutral area. Poor thing is absolutely terrified. Patch has had a good sniff of her and kept trying to get underneath her but Bramble, other than giving a rumble or two, hasn’t really moved. They then startled each other and now Bramble is just hiding in a corner. I’m very aware that she hasn’t really eaten anything since 11am when we picked her up so I don’t want her to be hiding in this corner for hours and hours. Should I just give it more time? Or try and settle her in for a night and try again?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 10
If you think they’re okay then you can move them in together. Just make sure you’ve thoroughly cleaned the cage. And cover it so that Bramble feels safer. Hides with two exits and two of everything. Then give her a week to settle in, unless you have to intervene.

Alright I think I spooked a little too early. She’s still definitely afraid and irritated by Patch constantly trying to hide under her but she’s eating a little hay now and there’s been no real aggression just a bit of rumbling. I think I’ll leave her a little longer now just to be absolutely sure then pop them in together. Fingers crossed it’ll stick!

They’ve actually started interacting properly now. They ate some hay together, there was some cleaning themselves next two each other, but also some rumbling and lunging. Patch seems to really like her, she just wants to be near her, so I’m hoping Bramble feels the same. Sorry for the real time updates but it’s definitely settling my nerves to have this forum on hand!

They’ve actually started interacting properly now. They ate some hay together, there was some cleaning themselves next two each other, but also some rumbling and lunging. Patch seems to really like her, she just wants to be near her, so I’m hoping Bramble feels the same. Sorry for the real time updates but it’s definitely settling my nerves to have this forum on hand!

Keep giving us the updates! We like to hear of successful bondings but it is also helpful to know what has gone on if you do need help

Back