• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Back Legs Hair Loss

jasper123321

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Dear all,

My guinea pig has bald patches on both her back legs (picture enclosed). Both bald patches are identical to each other and the skin is not itchy, dry or sensitive. I can touch the spots without her even noticing.
She is 6 years old and has had these patches for more than a year (can't remember exactly when I first saw them). She doesn't seem to bother, but I read somewhere that guine pigs do not bald from age, so I was wondering what is the source of this hair loss? She isn't overly grooming etc, I've never even seen her nibbling around that area.
Hope someone has the answer!

IMG_2637.JPG

@jasper123321
My first instinct was to check for any infestation, but as you say your piggy isn't in any discomfort and allows you to touch her. The fact that it is identical to the other side, it looks like over grooming or self barbering to me.

Does your piggy live on their own?

@jasper123321
My first instinct was to check for any infestation, but as you say your piggy isn't in any discomfort and allows you to touch her. The fact that it is identical to the other side, it looks like over grooming or self barbering to me.

Does your piggy live on their own?
Yes, unfortunately her buddy passed away one year ago. I have thought about getting her a new friend, but if she passes away her new friend will be alone and so on.. As I mentioned earlier, I never see her groom her back legs. But she could be doing it when no one is at home.

I know it's difficult but I do find over grooming is often a sign of boredom, if you do get a new friend for her, her life will definitely be enriched. It doesn't have to be a baby, you can adopt an older piggy (since we're all about adopting and not shopping here). We have a number of people on here with private rescues and there are others in the rescue locator at the top of the web page.

In the meantime, we recommend a cuddly toy, since your pig will be used to snuggling up to a friend, well...mostly anyway. But changing their environment around, getting a carrot cottage can entertain them for a while too. We have a carrot cottage demolition thread here, it's become almost a competition about which herd can destroy them in record time. I think VickiA has a good time on his.

Tunnels, snuggle houses, ramps and hay lofts can be great fun too.

We have made her a house where she can feel safe and she has lots of hay including a hay/cellulose tunnel. But as you already stated those things aren't the same as a buddy. Is it okay for an old female to be put with another old female? I'm definitely going to try and find a cuddle toy. Maybe that'll take the boredom away :).
Thanks for your help.

hi and welcome to the forum,sometimes piggies barber areas that are painful,maybe worth getting her checked by a vet,arthiritsis can sometimes be a reason.i hope you find a solution.:)

I agree with eileen. The baldy patches on legs are typical for pain in their legs from arthritis.

She may seem like she's not in pain but they're very good at not showing outward signs as they're a prey animal.

Dear All,
Thank you for your replies. I understand that with the age the chance of arthritis becomes bigger, but when she gets set loose in the living room she runs around like Usain Bolt.. What are signs of pain due to arthritis? Once she has been diagnoses with arthritis are there any meds for it or is it just a case of "learn to live with it"?

For arthritis it would be long term pain relief. I can't comment on arthritis in the legs as the only piggy I've had with it had arthritis in the bottom of her spine which meant she couldn't toilet painfree so she often leaked and was getting urine scalds around her back feet and her lady parts as a result. I would suggest a vet visit as they will be able to confirm whether its barbering or hair loss in general (barbering leaves some very short hairs behind which they will be able to take a closer look at)

I believe some rescues let you foster a companion for your lone piggy. They then take the foster piggy back when your older piggy passes. It maybe worth you looking into this if you no longer wish to keep piggys long term, if they do piggy dating it's also a good way of making sure your girl finds a cage mate she likes.

Back