• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Back of front teeth looks bad

Lulum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, today I noticed something about this guys teeth. From the front, it looks like he has something stuck between his teeth, but it's the color from the back of his teeth. I think something got stuck in there, and because it was too small, I didn't notice it during checkups. What should I do? I've never encountered this before.
He doesn't seem to have any trouble eating nor he lost any weight.

Vet visits with this piggy are very difficult, he has a weak heart and can't be stressed and unfortunately he has had a terrible time with travelling since he was a baby, but if only a guinea pig vet can do anything about it, I guess I have no choice.

Screenshot_3.jpg

Try not to worry if your piggie is eating fine and having no problems or losing any weight. I think if it’s organic, example, a little bit of hay it will decompose and gradually wash away. I would monitor over a week and see what happens. The insides of piggies mouth are generally very dirty looking and they hold chewed up food in their mouths

If he's eating fine and pooping fine and at a steady weight I wouldn't worry too much as you have to balance what the vet can do against how stressed he's going to get. These teeth are growing all the time so if it's just a weird shaped tooth that isn't causing him any difficulty I wouldn't interfere yet but I would keep an eye on it just in case it gets weirder! If the worst comes to the worst and it breaks off or has to be removed (not that there's any reason for this) they can learn to manage well with their remaining ones until it grows back. His top and bottom teeth look evenly worn so it's likely not causing him any trouble yet.

If he starts to get bad breath that can be an indication of infection starting... when you check him over maybe give him a sniff!

Thanks for the replies! I'll try not to worry and keep an eye on how it develops, but it really struck me, his brothers teeth are just beautifully white and shaped from all angles and these are too, just the back is weird enough.

And I'll be sure to give him a sniff!

Hi, today I noticed something about this guys teeth. From the front, it looks like he has something stuck between his teeth, but it's the color from the back of his teeth. I think something got stuck in there, and because it was too small, I didn't notice it during checkups. What should I do? I've never encountered this before.
He doesn't seem to have any trouble eating nor he lost any weight.

Vet visits with this piggy are very difficult, he has a weak heart and can't be stressed and unfortunately he has had a terrible time with travelling since he was a baby, but if only a guinea pig vet can do anything about it, I guess I have no choice.

View attachment 194710

Hi

I would recommend to have this investigated and also make sure that jaw mobility and the crucial grinding back teeth are ok. It looks more like a developing issue than an already fully developed problem but that furrow in the upper incisors is not quite what it should be.

Back