• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bad box of hay

This is my current batch of Haybox meadow hay. It was delivered last month. My subscription is 3 boxes every 8 weeks. Might be changing the next delivery to earlier date coz my piggies loved it, compared to the previous batch which was green but very thin and soft. So they definitely want a thicker cut this time. One box of this batch only lasted 16 days, compared to the previous which lasted around 21-28 days. I also give them Oxbow timothy and orchard hay, and at the moment they all tuck in with the meadow hay most of the time.

20210920_114947.jpg

I'm so glad to see Timothyhay.co.uk are doing orchard grass again, when I last looked there wasn't any!

I highly recommend checking out local farmers on Facebook marketplace if you have the space to store a bale, even if broken down into boxes or bags! I got 2 bales at £3.50 each and honestly, I wasnt expecting it to be as lovely as it is. Completely green and smells amazing. Even though I'm allergic I keep sticking my head in the bags and smelling it 🤣

View attachment 185926
We live in London in a flat so I don’t think there are farms near by and we don’t have space to store it 😞

This is my current batch of Haybox meadow hay. It was delivered last month. My subscription is 3 boxes every 8 weeks. Might be changing the next delivery to earlier date coz my piggies loved it, compared to the previous batch which was green but very thin and soft. So they definitely want a thicker cut this time. One box of this batch only lasted 16 days, compared to the previous which lasted around 21-28 days. I also give them Oxbow timothy and orchard hay, and at the moment they all tuck in with the meadow hay most of the time.

View attachment 185927
I have had hay box before and again found it very hit and miss and did give away a full box of their meadow hay! I also don’t want to shop with hay box ok principle as their customer service and supply was so bad last December! That does look much nicer than what I have had from them though!

Yes their soft timothy is back too @Eriathwen, we used to have that as well before my sensitive mini madam arrived as found that was always pretty nice as well :)

I can’t get farm hays either @rp1993 but cuz of my wonky brain and not being able to drive! Do feel for you, must be a nightmare to try and find ones that don’t set you off too badly, know it’s been a nightmare here with finding good ones for Jaws! 🙈

I can’t get farm hays either @rp1993 but cuz of my wonky brain and not being able to drive! Do feel for you, must be a nightmare to try and find ones that don’t set you off too badly, know it’s been a nightmare here with finding good ones for Jaws! 🙈
[/QUOTE]
It’s such a pain, but it all does seem to go back to Timothy so I just avoid that now! Also can’t have fresh flowers in the house either! I still take my perscription anti histamines every day and that seems to keep it at bay! Pig dad has to do the hay transfer from the big box to the smaller ones!

It’s such a pain, but it all does seem to go back to Timothy so I just avoid that now! Also can’t have fresh flowers in the house either! I still take my perscription anti histamines every day and that seems to keep it at bay! Pig dad has to do the hay transfer from the big box to the smaller ones!
[/QUOTE]
Yeah definitely for the best! That’s a bit rubbish with flowers too though, poor you! 🤦‍♀️ Glad your OH can shift it all around to save you trouble! I lived on piriton for over 7 years with my ratties but I only got really bad when I’d kiss and cuddle them (which obviously I did lots of!), so self inflicted really! XD

That's a great price. I order the 2.5kg boxes from haybox and now happy hay co. Is this 13kg bag a huge bale?
I order two and with delivery it comes to £17.10. It’s very compressed bale and I can fit it all, if I’m careful how I open it, in one of the hay box boxes (5kg ones). Then you can split it off the bale and fluff it. I’ve got an unopened bale under the stairs so I’ll get the measurements of it bagged.

Edit- it’s around 60cm by 25cm.

I order two and with delivery it comes to £17.10. It’s very compressed bale and I can fit it all, if I’m careful how I open it, in one of the hay box boxes (5kg ones). Then you can split it off the bale and fluff it. I’ve got an unopened bale under the stairs so I’ll get the measurements of it bagged.

I would love to go back to compressed hay like PAH stuff it really does make a difference! Will be looking into this stuff too! May as well open my own farm shop with the left overs 😂

I would love to go back to compressed hay like PAH stuff it really does make a difference! Will be looking into this stuff too! May as well open my own farm shop with the left overs 😂
It’s never ending isn’t it this hay malarkey. I’ve tried soooo many. The pigs like this meadow hay though and it’s a great price too. I was getting fed up of how expensive other meadow hay brands were.

I’ll send you the half a box of oat hay in my cupboard and that meadow one squished in my outside one too! Not sure how I move in this flat sometimes! XD

Brilliant thank you! Yes aside from the quality issues, the hay can be sooo expensive. My grandparents lived on a mountainside in the Highlands of Scotland without mains electricity, very self sufficient, scratching a living, and I really think they'd have keeled over at me paying these prices for boxes of dried grass to feed guinea pigs 😊

I’ll send you the half a box of oat hay in my cupboard and that meadow one squished in my outside one too! Not sure how I move in this flat sometimes! XD
We are exactly the same! The constant drying rack with fleece, over flowing cupboard with spare hides, boxes of hay and the bin it’s literally a barn!

Our healthy herby order arrives yesterday… still a bit brown but they did she interest in it and have started eating the happy hay co hay too. I will get through this and try out some of the other brands suggested!
I’m giving them extra to play in and they are loving it! image.jpg

Nothing like a whopper hay pile to pee in! Looks a bit more green compared to our yellow batch. Glad they’re showing interest in it and the other one now too :) Enjoy boys 😘😘 x

Wow that's great. I'm getting through a lot of hay with 6 pigs and normally have haybox but it's getting quite pricey especially now we're getting into the cooler months. So this would be something of interest.

What's the hay like? Is it cut into small pieces or are there long bits?

Wow that's great. I'm getting through a lot of hay with 6 pigs and normally have haybox but it's getting quite pricey especially now we're getting into the cooler months. So this would be something of interest.

What's the hay like? Is it cut into small pieces or are there long bits?

I’ve used two bales so far and both have been long pieces. I need to refill my box I keep in the piggy room today and then i
I’ll grab a photo to try and show you.

I'm using a lot at the moment and being less bothered about waste as I used to because it’s not costing me the earth. Which the piggies are happy about. They can tunnel in it and wear it too haha.

It is, I’ll see if I can get it to a rescue as I can’t bring myself to waste a full box.
I would contact them and complain, they may refund you. If its bad hay then chances are the rescues piggies wont eat it either. Mind u they could always use it for bedding in the winter if its soft.

I would contact them and complain, they may refund you. If its bad hay then chances are the rescues piggies wont eat it either. Mind u they could always use it for bedding in the winter if its soft.
They have started to eat it now so I am just giving them big piles of it! I did contact them on Instagram but never got a reply, I have plenty of options for our next order though!

Back