• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bald spot on Guinea Pigs back

Kkin1128

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, so about less than a week ago my girlfriend and I noticed a bald line spot on my guinea pig Biscuits’ back. It doesn’t look like it has any irritation but it is still worrisome. I checked online about bald spots on backs and all I could find was that she could have mites? However, her cage mate and none of our other guides pigs have any spots either. We do bath them with dry shampoo, which I know isn’t recommended. We recently bought a different brand of dry shampoo that we don’t really like but was the only one available so maybe it might be that? She doesn’t itch or anything and she is perfectly fine and healthy. I don’t think it is mites, can you guys please help me to maybe find out what it is? DBED7F5E-BB1F-468C-8BC1-7DF18FCF29F6.jpeg

It's impossible to say without someone qualified having a hands on examination. All we can say is that bald patches like that aren't normal and do need checking out by a vet. Please reconsider your bathing routine. Guinea pigs do not need bathing and certainly shouldn't have products used on them which are designed for humans as their skin is much more sensitive. Some piggies, mostly longer haired or ill piggies, can get dirty around their bum but generally only need a wipe with warm, plain water and not with any soap/shampoo product. Is there any reason you feel the need to shampoo them?

We do not shampoo them with human shampoo, we use small animal/guinea pig dry shampoo on them because they are very stinky. We used to use Kaytee: Quick and Clean small animal shampoo, we are now using All Living Things: Waterless Spray Shampoo for small animals. We do clean their grease gland and their bums, they still are stinky. We are having them checked but I am just confused as to why it is there when no other pig has any hair loss

We do not shampoo them with human shampoo, we use small animal/guinea pig dry shampoo on them because they are very stinky. We used to use Kaytee: Quick and Clean small animal shampoo, we are now using All Living Things: Waterless Spray Shampoo for small animals. We do clean their grease gland and their bums, they still are stinky. We are having them checked but I am just confused as to why it is there when no other pig has any hair loss

Ah apologies I misunderstood. I have only ever seen dry shampoo for humans and never seen a product like it for animals but glad you are using a specially designed product.

Back