• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bath time?

EddyNoble

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. I just took my guinea pig to the vet because of a URI that just won't go away. In his carrier, he seems to have peed all over himself. I'm wondering if this means i should give him a bath? Or will he clean it himself? I'm scared, it's covering him but i dont have any pet/baby shampoo. Not sure what to do :( I've nevee given any a bath before

Hi. I just took my guinea pig to the vet because of a URI that just won't go away. In his carrier, he seems to have peed all over himself. I'm wondering if this means i should give him a bath? Or will he clean it himself? I'm scared, it's covering him but i dont have any pet/baby shampoo. Not sure what to do :( I've nevee given any a bath before

Hi!

Please leave him be to tidy himself up over the next couple of days or just give him a gentle bum wipe with a slightly damp rag. But I wouldn't recommend to bathe a guinea pig fully unless absolutely necessary, and especially not one with a respiratory infection where you really don't want to expose a piggy to feeling cold and more immune system lowering stress than absolutely necessary!

Here is our boar care guide, including how to clean up a very messy boar: Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

PS: Is your guinea pig a single? The best health and life span boosting present you can ever make a guinea pig is to not keep them alone. Guinea pigs are not wired to be alone; they are group animals that strongly rely on the company of their own kind.
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Companionship

Hi!

Please leave him be to tidy himself up over the next couple of days or just give him a gentle bum wipe with a slightly damp rag. But I wouldn't recommend to bathe a guinea pig fully unless absolutely necessary, and especially not one with a respiratory infection where you really don't want to expose a piggy to feeling cold and more immune system lowering stress than absolutely necessary!

Here is our boar care guide, including how to clean up a very messy boar: Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

PS: Is your guinea pig a single? The best health and life span boosting present you can ever make a guinea pig is to not keep them alone. Guinea pigs are not wired to be alone; they are group animals that strongly rely on the company of their own kind.
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Companionship
Thank you very much! And he has a buddy <3

Thank you very much! And he has a buddy <3

Sorry, just making sure.
I hope that your little one is coming right again quickly. Please be aware that the onset of room heating etc. can also cause respiratory reactions. Pet shop guinea pigs come very often from a rather sterile background and can react with sensitivity. If they have been exposed to URI bacteria in the close confines and stressful situations and many upsets of the transport to the shop branches first at the back and then at shop front, followed by a move to a much more complex and challenging pet home, then they can develop URI because of the combination of stress and young age. See whether a bowl of steaming water by the cage is bringing a little relief. If yes, then continue. :(

All the best!

Sorry, just making sure.
I hope that your little one is coming right again quickly. Please be aware that the onset of room heating etc. can also cause respiratory reactions. Pet shop guinea pigs come very often from a rather sterile background and can react with sensitivity. If they have been exposed to URI bacteria in the close confines and stressful situations and many upsets of the transport to the shop branches first at the back and then at shop front, followed by a move to a much more complex and challenging pet home, then they can develop URI because of the combination of stress and young age. See whether a bowl of steaming water by the cage is bringing a little relief. If yes, then continue. :(

All the best!
Thank you so much for the tips! I really appreciate your responses <3

Poor boy - hope he’s feeling better.

I use unscented baby wipes for my long furred piggy if that helps.

Back