• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Bathing skittish guinea pig

Anna_Rose

New Born Pup
My guinea pig (Priscilla) who is still being tamed is suspected to have mites or fleas. She is still a skittish guinea pig and I'm worried giving her a bath will give her a heart attack. What should I do?

Seven7

Junior Guinea Pig
I too was worried at first with bathing my long haired Finn but he has been taking it very well. I just put very little amount of warm water in a bucket, and shampoo the bottom of his body. I wash him again to get the soap out then place him in a towel to dry. He gets a baby carrot after his bath and he doesn't seem to mind too much.
My Finn is an indoor piggy and doesn't have mites or anything. I wash him because of his long hair.

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
If she is still very skittish I would treat with Ivermectin or revolution from your vet (they're spot on treatments) to avoid freaking her out :) with mites, bathing can make them burrow even deeper too, which may make matters worse if the shampoo you're using isnt strong enough to kill them. Bathing a scared pig can result in them inhaling water while thrashing around which can make them very sick, using a spot on is much safer, I find.

Anna_Rose

New Born Pup
Thanks everyone! After further inspection I concluded she just had an itch. Typical me always freaking out over something.