• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bathing skittish guinea pig

Anna_Rose

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig (Priscilla) who is still being tamed is suspected to have mites or fleas. She is still a skittish guinea pig and I'm worried giving her a bath will give her a heart attack. What should I do?

I too was worried at first with bathing my long haired Finn but he has been taking it very well. I just put very little amount of warm water in a bucket, and shampoo the bottom of his body. I wash him again to get the soap out then place him in a towel to dry. He gets a baby carrot after his bath and he doesn't seem to mind too much.
My Finn is an indoor piggy and doesn't have mites or anything. I wash him because of his long hair.

If she is still very skittish I would treat with Ivermectin or revolution from your vet (they're spot on treatments) to avoid freaking her out :) with mites, bathing can make them burrow even deeper too, which may make matters worse if the shampoo you're using isnt strong enough to kill them. Bathing a scared pig can result in them inhaling water while thrashing around which can make them very sick, using a spot on is much safer, I find.

Thanks everyone! After further inspection I concluded she just had an itch. Typical me always freaking out over something.

Back