• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutting the fleece down to the size of the cage helped! The off cuts should fit their carry cases nicely. I used my needlework scissors in the end and pulled off the loose fibres. Cutting it half again will make things easier but seems like such a shame to have it more than one piece...I guess they fit together ok in cage as it's so thick.

The piggies were surprised by the fleece but I think they like it. I'm using puppy pads underneath the vet fleece but they're really thin and need to be changed each day, which is a pain. I've seen a mattress protector on Amazon I like but it's slightly shorter than the cage...hmm.

The piggies were surprised by the fleece but I think they like it. I'm using puppy pads underneath the vet fleece but they're really thin and need to be changed each day, which is a pain. I've seen a mattress protector on Amazon I like but it's slightly shorter than the cage...hmm.

Incontinence pads are thicker. I am currently using them in my C&C cage.

Having only had outdoor piggies before in a hutch with messy disposable bedding this time we plugged for fleece for our new indoor piggies and I'm so glad I did!

The piggies are in our living room and we have puppy pads on the base of the cage with a towel and then a fleece blanket...it's so easy and tidy to look after and there is no smell (only hay)!

It possibly helps that our girls seem to only pee in their litter tray!

I have a huge order coming soon from ziggys piggies and I can't wait for that to arrive (cage liners, piddle pads, bottle pads, tunnels, double cosy cups, double snuggle sacks, hay bags) I can feel a huge fleece addiction coming on! Need a couple more cage liners and I like the look of the wadded tunnel type things too! :clap:

I bought a roll of Vet Bed (green back) around 8 to 10 years ago and it's still going strong
Best investment l have ever made

I have vet fleece but it looks the same as vet bed, with the green back too...I've found vet bed on Zooplus, which is denser and a bit cheaper than the vet fleece I bought on Amazon (I bought the thickest they do). Now I just hope the piggies don't get mites because I can imagine it's easier to buy a new fleece than treat it. Usually when I get a new piggie, as I did nearly 2 weeks ago, they come out with mites or something from the stress of it all...these piggies weren't too difficult to get together though.

I've found a washable chair protector that is the right size for my cage and takes 3lt of liquid...just waiting to hear if it can be tumble dried.

@Flamestriker, sadly, twas expensive. Postage, not sure, but we had to pay 30 something import tax.
Could've got it much cheaper from Ziggy, but hers aren't waterproof-backed or fully fitted, the coroplast is exposed. No regrets:PIt's probably paid itself off already, the amount of bedding we used to need:nod:

I'm doing my 3rd fleece wash in non bio washing powder, so two fleeces will be ready soon. They are each bigger than the cage but I prefer that. I don't know if I'm folding it to fit only the base or covering the sides of the Correx.

The fleece is thin, being a throw, but that is also fine. I can fit two fleeces in my machine at a time (great as they come in pairs) and I have four fleeces in total. I don't know whether to just use two or start washing the other two as well.

I'm finding this more work than before...washing the fleece now as it got so wet leaving it 2 days with absolutely useless puppy liners. I looked in town for incontinence pads but couldn't find anything that seemed any thicker than the puppy pads...amazing for having the highest percentage of elderly in the country. I've ordered a large chair incontinence pad that I can wash and dry (3lt absorbency and 100x50cm)...this is getting expensive!

I now have the piggies in the upstairs cage while I wash and dry their fleece, and they're not happy. I'm going to have to buy another fleece...more expense but I suppose it be cheaper in the long run if I can stick with this! I can vacuum the fleece as it's so thick, which is something and mini dustpan and brush is handy. As I'm having to use the upstairs cage as holding bay, that will need changing too...aaarrrggghhh!

Use towels underneath the fleece and then the puppy pads on the bottom that way the towels will absorb most of the wetness and the fleece will last a bit longer before it gets wet. I would recommend having 2 fleeces so you can change it while you are washing it.

I bought disposable incontinence pads from Amazon, and they are in the cage with Aubiose at the moment. Puppy pads would have cost similar but I use less incontinence pads than puppy ones due to size

Under vet fleece: puppy pads - 10 minutes, towels - one day, 3lt incontinence pad - 2 days (but has only had one wash so far and is supposed to increase in absorbency).

I washed the inco pad today but did something really stupid...I used the new fabric conditioner I bought thinking it was the new detergent! Thankfully I realise as soon as the water started running and turned off the machine but some it would have reached the pad...I rinsed the pad in the bath to get out any conditioner that might have reached it. It wasn't completely wet, just a little so I am hoping not too much damage happened. Just can't believe I did that!

Changed the fleece in the cage last night. Took 20 mins. The disposable inco pads were great...held up fabulously.

IV also ordered a rubber curry comb from Amazon as I cannot shift Poppy's shed hairs off the fleece...and it's driving me nuts.

I bought some removal blankets to go under fleece and washed one in the machine. It blocked the filter! They look rather thin too. Not sure if they will be any good after all.

May have to invest in washable incontinence pads. Any one know a cheap place to get them?

Got lots of lovely fleece, although some is the fluffier kind ...

Thanks JenniferG. Will have spent millions on bedding at this rate! Not getting the piggies until early november. Sooo exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back