• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh that's lovely! I only changed over recently and realising how much this is all costing! When I use towels, they only last a day but the incontinence pad takes 3 litres and lasts 2 days - still a lot more washing and drying though, so that puts up the cost.

The incontinence pads I use are disposable...they last a week, although I have extra ones in high pee areas as I want to change them mid week from now on. I change the fleece every week as well...but I'm not sure if that is the right solution.

My girls also spend time in a playpen, and the puppy pads in there are changed every two days.

I posted recently about getting a new cage for our 2 boars. We have made a version of the ikea hack for lack tables this weekend and I'm now after new bedding for them.

I saw a post about wood pellet bedding and it lasting 3 weeks +. Where can I order this from in the UK? We currently use vetbed and have used fleece each with either newspapers or puppypads in the past but I would really like to cut down the amount of washing because we have rabbits too that have blankets that I need to wash and cut the costs down etc and I love the idea that it helps cut down the smell!

Okay guys I have a situation.

I got my piggy about 3 weeks ago and my mom got a very small beddIng bag. It only lasted about two weeks and for the past week I have been reusing last weeks bedding.
My mom just ordered new bedding which is coming in next week but the very little bedding I have right now is just soaked in wee and poop and it is stinking A LOT.

So does anybody have any suggestions on temporary bedding solution?

Thank you so much!

Hi guys I'm wanting to try using fleece in my piggies hutch and wondered if the people that make there own stuff use normal fleece that you can buy for kids and dogs etc?Is fleece used for kids OK for guineas?xx

I use Becks reusable waterproof bed pads when I deem it necessary, especially since recent due to Gizmo and Gadget having upper respiratory infections and the vet suspecting it's the wood bedding. The size I get it much larger than the bottom of my cage so I fold them in half and then fold the end slightly under the food dish and water bottle.

I was spot cleaning every day and changing the pad every 2-3 days with two piggies, depending on how much urine they produced; now that Gizmo's alone, I plan to spot clean every 1 1/2 day and still change every 2-3 days. The good thing is that you can get them free if you get incontinence supplies where I live. I personally would suggest them since you can get them pretty cheap, if not for free, since you can use them still as bed pads (make sure to wash them first, no matter how much you love your piggies! :))). They're also a good use for putting in your car for long trips with your dog, putting in the bottom of a travel cage with the piggies to not make a mess with bedding, and on the floor when you let your piggies roam around in a pen like I do since they're super absorbent. Trust me, all these scenarios are tested by us personally. XD

Only downside I see with them is having to rewash them often and now being a complete slave to my piggy; he's loving it though, as did Gadget before he passed. Gizmo also likes to chew on the ends of it but he doesn't eat it-eat it.

tWA5WI2.jpg

Gizzy was being shy when I pulled out the camera. That, and he's kind of grieving. But that's what the cage looks like. Remember, white side up with the pads~.

I'm going to use fleece blankets for mine. Silly question but what is a horse bag and where can I get one? I want to keep my washing machine from clogging up.

Thanks.

a horse bag is a big cloth bag with a zip.It keeps the hair,bedding that may still be on the liner/ fleece in the bag,but can allow water and detergent through to wash your items,stops expensive plumber bills to clean out the filter !amazon and viovet do horse wash bags.

a horse bag is a big cloth bag with a zip.It keeps the hair,bedding that may still be on the liner/ fleece in the bag,but can allow water and detergent through to wash your items,stops expensive plumber bills to clean out the filter !amazon and viovet do horse wash bags.

Do you, or anyone else have a link to some? I can't seem to find anything!

Thanks.

Has anybody tried Bedmax Littlemax shavings?

By and by i wouldn't hand wash however in the event that you do machine was check your channel after each wash to ensure it doesn't get obstructed of any bits of roughage that you have not figured out how to get off the downy.

By and by i wouldn't hand wash however in the event that you do machine was check your channel after each wash to ensure it doesn't get obstructed of any bits of roughage that you have not figured out how to get off the downy.
Have you tried the petwear wash bags? There is a link a few posts back :)

As much as I love it for their litter tray, I'm finding Carefresh to be too expensive.

Does anyone have any decent alternatives?

As much as I love it for their litter tray, I'm finding Carefresh to be too expensive.

Does anyone have any decent alternatives?

I find it expensive and not any more absorbent that other bedding. I switched to Finacard as much cheaper and just as effective, then I switched to fleece which is the cheapest although I don't know how much it's costing with washing and sometimes drying.

I find it expensive and not any more absorbent that other bedding. I switched to Finacard as much cheaper and just as effective, then I switched to fleece which is the cheapest although I don't know how much it's costing with washing and sometimes drying.

Thanks. I use fleece bedding in their cage, it's just their litter tray where I use Carefresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back