• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bereaved boar with 2 sows ?

Adamandralph

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all.
I posted on here last week about my 2 boars and adding a third (Which I decided against) but sadly my sweet Adam passed away on Friday at 5 years old :(. Obviously I am devestated but his cage mate Ralph is looking very lonely I want to get him some company ASAP. He is very dominant and would often mount Adam but luckily he (Adam) was shy and submissive, so it worked well, but I feel it’s such a risk introducing a similar aged boar (about 2 year) especially as I know Ralph’s tendencies.
I’ve looked into it and feel my best option is neutering Ralph and (after 6 weeks) introducing a sow. I have a Vet appointment on Friday to make sure he’s healthy and discuss if I want to go through with it But I would love to adopt a pair of sows and have 3 pigs in total. Does anyone have any advice / experience on if this is possible / a good idea? Should I stick to 1 boar 1 sow or can is 1 boar 2 sows also work ?
* My cage is 180 x 90 cm with a 90 x 60 loft *

Hi all.
I posted on here last week about my 2 boars and adding a third (Which I decided against) but sadly my sweet Adam passed away on Friday at 5 years old :(. Obviously I am devestated but his cage mate Ralph is looking very lonely I want to get him some company ASAP. He is very dominant and would often mount Adam but luckily he (Adam) was shy and submissive, so it worked well, but I feel it’s such a risk introducing a similar aged boar (about 2 year) especially as I know Ralph’s tendencies.
I’ve looked into it and feel my best option is neutering Ralph and (after 6 weeks) introducing a sow. I have a Vet appointment on Friday to make sure he’s healthy and discuss if I want to go through with it But I would love to adopt a pair of sows and have 3 pigs in total. Does anyone have any advice / experience on if this is possible / a good idea? Should I stick to 1 boar 1 sow or can is 1 boar 2 sows also work ?
I beleive you can have 1 boar and however many sows you want. Let me tag in @PigglePuggle and @Wiebke .

I got my boar neutered and he and my sow get along just fine. Boar and sow has the highest success rate with bonding

Hi
Slightly different situation in that I had a bereaved sow. But I have recently adopted another sow and a neutered male to be her friends and it has worked amazingly! There was a lot of rumbling and noise for the first couple of days but they are now great friends :)

Hi all.
Thanks for tagging me @SkyPipDotBernie but I'm not an expert! Though we do have a neutered boar living happily with 5 ladies :)
I think with the size cage you have 2 ladies and a neutered boar would be great. Might be best to make sure the ladies are a nicely bonded pair who get on well before adding your boy. And make sure you wait the full 6 weeks post-neutering to let your boy meet any ladies in person! But living as next door neighbours with his future wives with some sturdy cage bars in the way will help them get to know each other before you introduce them, our first pair of ladies lived next door to baby Theo for 10 weeks while he grew big enough to be neutered then did his 6 weeks post-op, and when they were introduced the ladies were really laid back and a bit bored with him already they knew him so well!

Back