Best place to get a custom hutch

bobsox42

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a long time Guinea Pig owner and I'm looking to get a custom made hutch built. Can anyone recommend any companies (I'm based in Staffordshire if there are any local places I can support)? Or anything you wish you'd thought of when building your own custom hutches.

Thanks in Advance!

Bobsox

Piggylove82

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a long time Guinea Pig owner and I'm looking to get a custom made hutch built. Can anyone recommend any companies (I'm based in Staffordshire if there are any local places I can support)? Or anything you wish you'd thought of when building your own custom hutches.

Thanks in Advance!

Bobsox
Hi,

I have a bespoke guinea pig hutch from Ryedale Pet Homes. They aren't local, but they deliver it to you ready made. They will make it to your exact spec which means no more adapting mass produced flat pack hutches that are made with a 'one size fits all' formula. Yes I know they offer different sizes, but thats not what I meant 😂

Rabbit Hutches - Guinea Pig Hutches - Ryedale Pet Homes

I have a 6ft double storey hutch with 6 inch legs and heavy duty plastic floors. It has sides to the ramp, short ramp steps, bannister at the top. I painted it and added acrylic windows that I can add and remove depending on the weather.

The pics show it unpainted and then painted, and in situ, with the ramp as I originally had one pair of girls using it as a double storey. They used the ramp just fine. But when one passed away I adopted 3 pigs and they now live as a pair on each floor. The final pic is the separate floor set up. I have a trapdoor covering the top of the stairs.

Screenshot_20200520-124045_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200520-124007_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200520-123947_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200520-123928_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200520-123809_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200520-123359_Gallery.jpg

Let me know if I can help further!

bobsox42

New Born Pup
Reaction score
That's a lovely looking hutch! Thanks so much for the link, I'll look into them.

I know the feeling with the "one size fits all"! We want something to fit perfectly in the space we have but haven't found any pre-made for sale big enough for what we want.

Piggylove82

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you!

One thing I would say is, don't let initial prices put you off.

The Chartwell of the same size 6ft x 2ft double storey was £230. The thermal and the waterproof cover were £110. Total spend being £340.

I didn't pay a lot more than that for mine. I upgraded on the feet and the flooring and that pushed the price up. But I chose to do that. With mass produced hutches, you nearly always have to adapt them or just put up with the spec. This guy, Rob at Ryedale, he can make it EXACTLY how you want it, and it's worth paying to get a hutch that's just how you want it. Think of your pigs 🥰.

When you look at the durability and life span of a hutch like this compared to a flat pack hutch, over the long term, they are a cheaper buy.

Good luck!

SkyPipDotBernie

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you!

One thing I would say is, don't let initial prices put you off.

The Chartwell of the same size 6ft x 2ft double storey was £230. The thermal and the waterproof cover were £110. Total spend being £340.

I didn't pay a lot more than that for mine. I upgraded on the feet and the flooring and that pushed the price up. But I chose to do that. With mass produced hutches, you nearly always have to adapt them or just put up with the spec. This guy, Rob at Ryedale, he can make it EXACTLY how you want it, and it's worth paying to get a hutch that's just how you want it. Think of your pigs 🥰.

When you look at the durability and life span of a hutch like this compared to a flat pack hutch, over the long term, they are a cheaper buy.

Good luck!
Buy cheap buy twice 👍

bobsox42

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advice! We've already said we don't mind how much this will cost as long as we can get our dream design, that'll last a long time and be perfect for our girls.

As it's going to be indoors we want to make sure that we can clean it easily to avoid risk of smells from soaked in urine, so we're looking into materials and options for proofing if it's wood.

Piggylove82

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advice! We've already said we don't mind how much this will cost as long as we can get our dream design, that'll last a long time and be perfect for our girls.

As it's going to be indoors we want to make sure that we can clean it easily to avoid risk of smells from soaked in urine, so we're looking into materials and options for proofing if it's wood.
You can have plastic flooring, and plastic skirting. I painted the interior of my hutch so it's fully wipeable.