• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Betta Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the moss balls (if that's what they're called) :lol!:

Yes, they're called marimo moss balls, they help with natural filtration and bottom feeders (fnar!) can nibble off them. I was intending on getting a few shrimp (moss balls are good hiding/eating sources for them) but trialling Merlin with the snails first (they're tougher!) and although he completely ignored the snails in the pet store tank, he's pretty curious about the snail in 'his' tank, so I don't want to risk getting the shrimp if they'll effectively be food :(

And no point wasting your creative streak by buying a laminated picture, i've always thought they were a waste of money! I bet your own artwork will complement Merlin far better :nod:

'Artwork' is stretching it, in just going to cut a cardboard template the same size as the back of the tank and cover it with wrapping paper! That way I can change it whenever I fancy. I had one Betta that flared at ANY background; it'd really stress him out. I tried so many pictures - rock, sea, completely black, and it became a bit of a project to find 'the one'... nope, it was 'the none' :))

@Tiny nice looking tank :nod:

you could try going into a DIY store & get a couple of strips of wallpaper samples... some nice green leafy bamboo type pattern or something, something quite light to enhance his colouring might do well :)
.... either that or really cheat & take a photo of the laminate backed pic on your phone in the aquatic shop & enlarge it/print full size on a few A4 sized pieces of paper to stick behind the tank (cheap as chips.... not fish n chips of course ;) )
i had one that was double sided it had a green/red leafy design on one side & a brown bogwood design on the other, its lasted for years, it just adds some depth to the look of the tank :) but it usually is expensive like you say.

shame about your first intended fish, hope the handsome Merlin settles in well though :luv:

@GPTV it's weird you should say that about the background - I've actually ordered a 'proper' one for the tank, it's cut exactly to size (there's a notch at the top of the tank where the filter attaches). It was just over £3 including delivery so I just went for it, and I can use it as a template for my own efforts. BUT! It is a light green bamboo design! :))

@GPTV it's weird you should say that about the background - I've actually ordered a 'proper' one for the tank, it's cut exactly to size (there's a notch at the top of the tank where the filter attaches). It was just over £3 including delivery so I just went for it, and I can use it as a template for my own efforts. BUT! It is a light green bamboo design! :))

:yikes::clap:

Update!

Merlin's tank now has a background, and he's moved to the other side of the room. His heater went a bit temperamental so I was awaiting a new one being delivered (along with filters) before I drained half the tank to move him today (yup, a fish tank plus water can be quite heavy and tricky to move!). After half a week of being a few degrees below optimal temperature, he's really perked up! Also, the new tank position gives him more to look at (he seems quite curious about the Christmas tree).

IMG_0379.JPG

Merlin has tankmates! They've been in about 24 hours now, and I was mindful that as he's the only fish in there, it's 'his' tank, and Bettas can be aggressive and/or territorial, he may not welcome friends. It was my original plan to have shrimp but I was concerned they might've ended up as expensive food :))

So we have three Pakistani loaches (also known as Yoyo loaches because their pattern looks like Ys and Os). They're bottom feeders so won't threaten Merlin in terms of food, plus they're peaceful, non-aggressive, aren't brightly coloured and don't have long fins (basically all the requisites of a Betta pal). They're excellent scavengers but are quite fast and dart-y so I've just about managed to get them all in a pic! Quite neatly, they're different sizes so I'll be able to identify them. They're called (biggest to smallest) Ziggy, Weird and Gilly.

IMG_0433.JPG

This guy's a Rabbit snail, also known as an Elephant snail. He's about 2 inches long, could grow to 3. His body (ie his 'innards') are quite a bright orangey-yellow (can't quite see this contrast on the pic; it's really hard taking good aquarium pics, what with lighting etc). Haven't quite decided on a name (they're externally impossible to sex so I haven't even assigned a gender!). Merlin decided to photobomb, he's been curious but has really perked up in terms of being more active. He hadn't flared at any of them or tried to attack or nibble (which is always a possibility with snails). The smaller two loaches have been more inquisitive about him, they've swum near him but not in an aggressive/chase way; think they're just curious. Merlin's just so chilled and such a lazy fish that I think these dudes will add a bit of movement and stimulation!

IMG_0434.JPG

I'm loving your YoYo's :luv:
Ziggy & Gilly are great names but i'm a bit curious why Weird is weird? :lol!:

I haven't yet learnt to appreciate snail's - i think they remind me too much of slugs and i can't stand them! They probably don't like me much either :D

Maybe I could come around to water snails... it does have an interesting whirly shell... wonder why it's name is connected to rabbits/elephants?

The loaches are named thus:
"Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly, and the Spiders From Mars" - Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie.

Bowie's songs have such ethereal imagery and vivid characters so I thought this'd be nice for a trio :)

Actually, Major Tom is under consideration for the snail, but I love the name Dylan too. Apparently their stalks can look like rabbit/elephant ears. I'll try and find a stock picture.

This image is from rabbitsnails.com - they have a whole website?! I'll certainly be checking that out! :))

I can see how they might look a bit snouty and elephantine but I don't see the rabbit resemblance!

IMG_0435.JPG

No judgemental comments shall pass my lips! :)

I think this is a lovely post, i haven't had a fish tank in years!

I love Betta Splendens/ Siamese fighting fish. I had a stunning electric blue 1 with a pinky purple streak that i called Sid, i loved him! Those fish are amazing; in their natural habitat they drag themselves across wet land and live in little puddles.

I also had a tropical fish community tank with a couple of silver & red-finned sharks, tetras of varying kinds, various catfish, and other fish that i can't remember right now but am sure will keep swimming into my head tonight... :))

I really liked corydoras in a big way too actually, i had lots of different types of them. They're cute little cleaners, quite amusing to watch.

So relaxing watching a fishtank...
We had a giraffe catfish only supposed to grow to 18 inches, we had to rehome it when it got to nearly 3ft.
Daft thing you could put your hand in the tank, if you had long arms & stroke it.

I'd recommend snails for anyone with a stable aquarium - there are notable exceptions but they will live happily with most fish or other aquarium mates (snails, shrimp, frogs). They can be surprisingly active and characterful too. Also, some are excellent cleaners of algae or leftover food and waste. I had a clam years ago (they seem to be harder to find now) and that was fascinating! It'd open its shell and what looked like a tongue would slowly come out and 'lick' the tank floor. It'd move along that way too, pulling itself along by its 'tongue'.

The loaches are named thus:
"Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly, and the Spiders From Mars" - Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie.

Bowie's songs have such ethereal imagery and vivid characters so I thought this'd be nice for a trio :)

Actually, Major Tom is under consideration for the snail, but I love the name Dylan too. Apparently their stalks can look like rabbit/elephant ears. I'll try and find a stock picture.

NOW it makes sense! :doh: I weren't that heavily into Bowie, i did like Starman though :)

This image is from rabbitsnails.com - they have a whole website?! I'll certainly be checking that out! :))

I can see how they might look a bit snouty and elephantine but I don't see the rabbit resemblance!

I can see it's a bit elephanty if i look for it - it would definitely have to have been a strange rabbit to resemble that though! :lol!:

We had a giraffe catfish only supposed to grow to 18 inches, we had to rehome it when it got to nearly 3ft.
Daft thing you could put your hand in the tank, if you had long arms & stroke it.

Yes, giraffe catfish grow HUGE and you'd need quite a big tank to keep them as pets. I've seen this happen with pleco catfish too, they often outgrow their tanks. Pet & aquarium shops really should be better informed and more honest!

I'd recommend snails for anyone with a stable aquarium - there are notable exceptions but they will live happily with most fish or other aquarium mates (snails, shrimp, frogs). They can be surprisingly active and characterful too. Also, some are excellent cleaners of algae or leftover food and waste. I had a clam years ago (they seem to be harder to find now) and that was fascinating! It'd open its shell and what looked like a tongue would slowly come out and 'lick' the tank floor. It'd move along that way too, pulling itself along by its 'tongue'.

I have to admit i've not seen a lot of all the snail's on offer, and your 1 looks very colourful. I think watching a tank of them would be relaxing - a lot like watching a lava lamp :D

I think watching a tank of them would be relaxing - a lot like watching a lava lamp :D
That's a really good analogy!

Also, I've found bigger snails can be really determined - whereas fish will obv. swim round plants and tank furniture, snails will just push bits over if they've decided it's in their way! Plants felled, decorations pushed over - that'll be a destructive snail :))

Hey - you're getting me to think about snails in a whole new way - thank you! All I need to do now is find a way of transferring that into how I see regular snails outside and i might be able to actually LIKE them. Well done you for being a good ambassador for snails :)

That's the thing - I'm not overly keen on outdoor snails! I've never had or considered them as pets, but I think @Flutterby does? I'll be the aquatic snail ambassador and I'm sure she'll champion the land variety :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back