• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Billy had teeth filed today 1 minute GA, he s really poorly shaking!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
As in the title, really need advice? he is not looking good, was really low weight prior to op, vet discharged him to my daughter and my mum saying he was fine, but I m not convinced... he s just sitting hunched, struggling to move.. tried to give him critical care eariler but wasnt a great success he ended up wearing it! gave him metacam too but not sure how much he got... really worried we re not experienced owners, hes in cage inside with his girlfriend, i have put hot water bottle next to him?!
he was not like this after his neutering ga last year?

should we ring the vets or just leave him to get through the night...?

any help or advice please?:...

Doesn't sound good, I'd ring the vets and ask for advice and also try fluids syringed slowly into the mouth and try critical care again perhaps.
Hope he gets better soon :(

I would speak to the vets straight away. It is essential he eats and drinks to keep guts moving. Keep trying with the syringing. Have you tried putting some soft watery food next to him such as cucumber or watermelon? Is he pooing?
Guinea pigs can shake when the GA is coming out of there system it looks a little like a mini fit.
Hope he gets better
x

spoke to vet, well nurse said to try and syringe him water and bit of critical care again. Have got some water and food in him will now leave til morning with hot water bottle ... everything crossed, if no better tomorrow he ll be back at vets:(

this an example why GAs are not always needed in dentals, if a dental pig most of the time always a dental pig and they need dentals every 2 weeks for a while before they can go longer between.

the thing you need to do is keep him warm as he is likely to have dropped his temp, ie use a wrapped water bottle or a snuggle pad if you have one.

i would be careful trying to syringe feed water due to the fact he still has GA in his system the water could go into his lungs.

he really does need to see a emergency vet asap meaning now!

he will need iv fluids, Metoclopramide given via injection and then given oral from 2moz 3 times a day until he is eating and his poops are normal, this is a gut stimulant= his gut will be slowing down now due to him not eating.

how much Metacam has he had?

do you have any pellets in?

if so put some into a cup/bowel and pour boiling water on them to cover them, wait 15mins then add more water, wait another 15 mins then stir with a fork until a smooth paste, wait for the pellets to go warm to cold and use a 1ml syringe, when putting the syringe into the mouth you need to go behind the front teeth aiming to where the back teeth are, aim for 30-40ml per sitting which should take around 20mins to do BUT with him still having GA in him i would aim for this over a longer time 40 mins dont shoot the syringe contents into the mouth fast because with him still having GA in his system his swallowing reflex will not be the same and it could go into his lungs.

but its important he has iv fluids now to hydrate him and give him a better chance of getting the GA out of his system, if you wait there is a chance he will die, its that serious.

ring Cambridge Cavy Trust and ask Vedra for you nearest Rodentologist who normally do dentals free and with out GA.

did they find any teeth problems?

Claire love is spot on with her advice...and an emergency vet visit is necessary as it sounds like there is a reaction to the anaethetic and yor piggie needs emergency care........

Please come back to us tomorrow to tell us how he is doing and his current meds

From tomorrow onwards......Billy will need a considerable amount of intensive care with syringe feeding etc .....but he can and will get through this ....if you are "game" (and it sounds to me like you are ;))

It's tough syringe feeding a piggie....we know...and so we are all here to support and help (not just electronically but physically too if necessary)

Keep getting ash muc into his gut as you can.....

Hugs hun...not a pleasant position to be in ..but I'm sure you;ll rise to the occasion and give him your very best

x

:(He s the same i got up early syringed water and critical care and medicine, refreshed hhot water bottle... worried though as i m off to work for day and its along way! daughter out all day in a club too! will ring vets though at 8 and get him dropped there I think?

All paws crossed for little Billy XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Poor little man :(
I had our piggie react a couple of times to GA i never let that vet near Duke again pow-pow

:(He s the same i got up early syringed water and critical care and medicine, refreshed hhot water bottle... worried though as i m off to work for day and its along way! daughter out all day in a club too! will ring vets though at 8 and get him dropped there I think?

did the vets say he had a dental problem?

Billy has spent the day in the vets today and he has not improved at all, he is not taking any food or fluids and is in a bad way there is clearly something else wrong he is so so thin, we are off to see him and decide but they are strongly recommending pts...:( I cant bear to see him suffering so much. we will say our goodbyes...

Poor Williw does not know what is happening she was his shadow! we will keep a close eye on her but my daughter cant bear to get another one?! not sure what to do for the best for her?!:(

BIG HUG

I am so sorry that Billy has taken such a turn for the worst.
Sending you, Billy Boo and Willow my love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back