• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bio Lapsis Alongside Baytril?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaz_dubz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone sorry been a bit quiet on here but very busy at home!
Dave one of our piggies was seen by the vet yesterday with diarrhoea and was told its a tummy infection as he is inflamed and given baytril for 5 days.
I know to give a probiotic alongside but the pro c in his water he really doesnt like and is refusing to drink now. I have some bio lapis in my guinea kit is this safe to give alongside the baytril?
Thank you

I gave Pro C powder on a slice of cucumber about an hour after give the Baytril. The guinea pig ate the cucumber slice without problem. They don't like the taste of Pro C in water. If you give it as powder on cucumber you also know they have had the correct amount.

I gave Pro C powder on a slice of cucumber about an hour after give the Baytril. The guinea pig ate the cucumber slice without problem. They don't like the taste of Pro C in water. If you give it as powder on cucumber you also know they have had the correct amount.
Thank you, did you use a whole scoop of pro c?

Bio lapsis is a very good allround probiotic; we recommend it over pro C. Please do not add it to the water because piggies don't like tampered water and will drink noticeably less; it also goes off fairly quickly and you cannot control the intake.

Please give a pinch 1-2 hours after you have given your antibiotic, either with a bit of veg or - if that doesn't work - dissolved in 1ml of water and syringe the mix. That way you can make sure that your piggy is getting the full benefit at the best time. ;)

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...vitamin-c-overview-with-product-links.115404/

Bio lapsis is a very good allround probiotic; we recommend it over pro C. Please do not add it to the water because piggies don't like tampered water and will drink noticeably less; it also goes off fairly quickly and you cannot control the intake.

Please give a pinch 1-2 hours after you have given your antibiotic, either with a bit of veg or - if that doesn't work, dissolve in 1ml of water and syringe the mix. That way you can make sure that your piggy is getting the full benefit at the best time. ;)

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...vitamin-c-overview-with-product-links.115404/
Thank you so much! didnt want to tamper with his stomach without advise as it seems delicate enough as it is

even with the antibiotic the poo is still runny, it did harden for a few hours and look normal, I think another trip to the vets is needed tomorrow :(

even with the antibiotic the poo is still runny, it did harden for a few hours and look normal, I think another trip to the vets is needed tomorrow :(

Is he off all fresh veg and do you hand feed him? Please make sure that also syringe him plenty of water. You can also mix it with dioralyte from the pharmacy.
Baytril is known for dampening the appetite and softening poos; it can be this that is making the the diarrhea worse again.
Please see your vet as soon as you can; he may need another antibiotic. If necessary stop the baytril.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/complete-hand-feeding-guide.115359/

Yes all veg was stopped days ago, trying to syringe feed him but he isnt co operating at all.
Havent given today's dose of baytril
have got an appointment with vets at 11.20 so will keep you posted

Fingers firmly crossed! A piggy with a painful tummy is not having a great appetite.

I'm back, vet says carry on with baytril as tummy is still sore and inflamed but has given fibreplex 3 times a day too. Fingers crossed this works!

Just try to get as much fibrous food into him as you can to keep the guts going while they get hopefully better.

It sounds like it is going the right way, so hopefully he is going to pick up in the amount he is feeling better in himself. ;)

Well another trip to the vets today! Suspected leukaemia! Thankfully it isn't, he is swelling with fluid as he has lost all his protein due to the diarrhoea so given a steroid injection to reduce the inflammation and syringe feeding to get protein in him. It's been a tough week!

HUGS!

I am very sorry! You have been through the mill. Hopefully the steroid injection will help. In the case of protein, fedding mushed up pellets high in alfalfa or offering an extra alfalfa ring may help. Alfalfa is high in protein and calcium.

HUGS!

I am very sorry! You have been through the mill. Hopefully the steroid injection will help. In the case of protein, fedding mushed up pellets high in alfalfa or offering an extra alfalfa ring may help. Alfalfa is high in protein and calcium.
thank you for all the advice, unfortunately we had another trip to the vets this morning and he has been given an antibiotic injection as the think the protein loss is due to a liver or kidney disease as the steroids didnt help.
I am syringe feeding critical care and the next 24 hours are crucial, if no improvement we have to make the awful decision we all dread. BUT staying positive and praying lots!

Oh gosh, poor little guy. He's really having a bad time. Fingers crossed that he manages to pull through. Let us know how he gets on. Hoping for the best.

Sending you lots of VIBES! You are doing all you can.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back