• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bitey Piggy

yayoiharuko

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys :)
I'm sure some of you may know me from the whole "am I welcome here as a newbie" post, and some may remember me from the Introduction post.
Anyway, I read the link that someone provided me about guinea pigs and biting and what it means and all, and today I decided to try and implement what I read.
So from here on out I will be trying to do things a little differently and will be letting you guys know how it is going.
I have some good news/bad news, depending on how you look at it. Blue decided he didn't want to bite me today. I sat there with him for a good five minutes after he finished eating and he just stared at me like.. maybe if I just do this, she will give me another carrot.
Since he was obviously in a better mood this afternoon I figured I would go ahead and try rubbing gently around his eyes/rubbing ears etc. Just to see what he likes. He started sqeaking. Not sure what kind of squeaking though. Sometimes he sqeaks when I'm holding him and I open the fridge like, "YES, FOOD!" and some times he squeaks the same exact way when I'm bringing him back to his cage from the playpen. (I perceive this to be more of a "PUT ME DOWN!" squeak)
I don't know. It's hard for me to tell. He's a very vocal pig, that's for sure.
I just threw in the part about him squeaking as I rubbed around his eyes because I don't know if that's a good thing or not and could use some clarification there.
As for the biting, I'll see how things go tonight when I bring him back inside.
I do want to mention a couple things:
He doesn't bite me because he thinks my fingers are food. He's way too smart for his own good, and at this point knows exactly what to do to make me put him down. Every time he bites, he draws blood.
I've tried putting on gloves.. he just bites my face and my arms.

Hi guys :)
I'm sure some of you may know me from the whole "am I welcome here as a newbie" post, and some may remember me from the Introduction post.
Anyway, I read the link that someone provided me about guinea pigs and biting and what it means and all, and today I decided to try and implement what I read.
So from here on out I will be trying to do things a little differently and will be letting you guys know how it is going.
I have some good news/bad news, depending on how you look at it. Blue decided he didn't want to bite me today. I sat there with him for a good five minutes after he finished eating and he just stared at me like.. maybe if I just do this, she will give me another carrot.
Since he was obviously in a better mood this afternoon I figured I would go ahead and try rubbing gently around his eyes/rubbing ears etc. Just to see what he likes. He started sqeaking. Not sure what kind of squeaking though. Sometimes he sqeaks when I'm holding him and I open the fridge like, "YES, FOOD!" and some times he squeaks the same exact way when I'm bringing him back to his cage from the playpen. (I perceive this to be more of a "PUT ME DOWN!" squeak)
I don't know. It's hard for me to tell. He's a very vocal pig, that's for sure.
I just threw in the part about him squeaking as I rubbed around his eyes because I don't know if that's a good thing or not and could use some clarification there.
As for the biting, I'll see how things go tonight when I bring him back inside.
I do want to mention a couple things:
He doesn't bite me because he thinks my fingers are food. He's way too smart for his own good, and at this point knows exactly what to do to make me put him down. Every time he bites, he draws blood.
I've tried putting on gloves.. he just bites my face and my arms.

It is a good sign that he is vocal and talking to you; it means that he is talking to you like he would to another guinea pig.
You have told him that you are the top piggy and that he is a welcome member of your herd and then you have told him that you love him. Repeat that, but you should hopefully not get any more tweaking from him. ;)

It has worked for a quite a few members with tweaky piggies that are much happier now that they have found a place in your group hierarchy. I do not have a tweaking issue with my own piggies, and I have adopted a fair number of not quite easy ones, so I know that my piggy whispering tips really work.

It is a good sign that he is vocal and talking to you; it means that he is talking to you like he would to another guinea pig.
You have told him that you are the top piggy and that he is a welcome member of your herd and then you have told him that you love him. Repeat that, but you should hopefully not get any more tweaking from him. ;)

It has worked for a quite a few members with tweaky piggies that are much happier now that they have found a place in your group hierarchy. I do not have a tweaking issue with my own piggies, and I have adopted a fair number of not quite easy ones, so I know that my piggy whispering tips really work.
I held him again for a while this evening when taking him out of the playpen, and he did bite at my clothes- but as soon as he did, I gently lifted his chin, gave him a little chin scratch and some ear rubs and he calmed down!

Sounds like you are doing just fine with him. I have had my 5 piggies nearly 2 years and Christian has only just decided he loves cheek and chin rubs. He goes from being a purring piggie to very quiet during a cheek and chin rub (unheard of for him during cuddle time as he is usually VERY vocal). It's like he "zones out" for a bit cos as soon as I stop he begins purring again. He has even started to lean against my finger to tell me he wants a chin rub!

Sounds like you are doing just fine with him. I have had my 5 piggies nearly 2 years and Christian has only just decided he loves cheek and chin rubs. He goes from being a purring piggie to very quiet during a cheek and chin rub (unheard of for him during cuddle time as he is usually VERY vocal). It's like he "zones out" for a bit cos as soon as I stop he begins purring again. He has even started to lean against my finger to tell me he wants a chin rub!
That's adorable!
Neither of my pigs purr I don't think. They kind of growl when they are irritable, or 'grind' thier teeth at me (like chewing food) if I hold them too long.

Oh and quick update for today.. Blue didn't bite me today either, and Oliver decided to take a nap up under my chin for a good 10 minutes this morning. Hurt my neck badly but he was so relaxed I didn't want to move XD

Back