• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

black spot on guinea pigs eye

Wildbill_cookie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, wondered if anyone's ever seen this before on their guinea pigs eye. she has a black raised spot above the iris but she seems to be ok and her eye looks normal really. Is it hay poke?

1594036944952.png

Can you see that spot when the eye isn’t stretched? Otherwise no clue.

Can’t see entirely clearly from the picture
Really doesn’t look like haypoke though - haypoke usually results in cloudy eye, watering, squinting

Hi all, wondered if anyone's ever seen this before on their guinea pigs eye. she has a black raised spot above the iris but she seems to be ok and her eye looks normal really. Is it hay poke?

View attachment 147449

Hi!

Please any eye problem vet checked. It requires a closer look and a hands on examination. It may just being something stuck to the surface of the eye, but that is for your vet to decide. We can only guess. Unfortunately your picture is too fuzzy to be of any use.

All the best!

Can’t see entirely clearly from the picture
Really doesn’t look like haypoke though - haypoke usually results in cloudy eye, watering, squinting

Hi there is no cloudy eye or squinting, now I'm worried :( :( :(

Don’t worry until you know there’s something up. Take them to the vet to have it checked out. You can take to a general vet as I think treating eyes is pretty much the same across the board.

Just seeking advice here first incase its something common that will go on it's own, cheers

We are not qualified to diagnose, let alone from a picture. Get your piggy to a general vet so they can do a hands on diagnosis and tell you what it is.

We are not qualified to diagnose, let alone from a picture. Get your piggy to a general vet so they can do a hands on diagnosis and tell you what it is.
I'm not asking for a diagnosis, just a general what it possibly could be before I get to the vet that's all

I can’t tell you what it is. In the years I’ve been on here I’ve never seen it.

I'm not asking for a diagnosis, just a general what it possibly could be before I get to the vet that's all
Good photo that. I not seen that before . . As for what breeder says . . Well I have my thoughts what I think of them.
It's great you come on here as most people for help and to share their piggies . .
Well done for noticing it so quickly. .
Don't know where you are based I do think as you new and course piggie needs a little help that a vet visit is needed. There is a vet location on here and it would help if you get to see a vet who has knowledge and experience with piggies. Exotic vet be great. Same time be ideal to have piggie a good mot. . Breeders will say anything for a sale
Hope this helps and pls let us know how you and piggie get on.

Has the mark always been there? If not then I dont think thats a mole (though I am not at all knowledgeable on moles). It looks like the spot could possibly be blood from an eye injury. Though I am not a vet and not able to diagnose so whatever it is you should definitely bring your guinea pig to the vet or send them a picture. Especially if your guinea pig's eye has been tearing up, squinting, or becoming more cloudy. Best of luck, hoping your guinea pig will feel better soon!

Back