• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

elian

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! Coincidentally the day after I make an account my sweet piggy may have a problem...

Emmie has had a lot of health issues since I got her from the pet store (I know, I know, I was uneducated at the time). When I bought her, she was quiet and liked to sleep in my lap and I did not know any better so I thought this was normal, but what I thought was a quiet sleepy piggy from day one was a pig with horrible pneumonia and I took her to the vet as soon as I realized what was wrong and was told she wouldn’t have made it though the night if I did not take her then. It took six weeks of syringing her water and critical care and antibiotics to help her get better and after she had diarrhea constantly from the first antibiotic and was losing weight quickly, she was switched to a second one which worked, cleared up the infection, but stunted her growth according to my vet (although she seems to have grown a lot since the last time we saw him so maybe not...)

She had a UTI in December most likely from the stress of traveling (we won’t be doing that again) since she does not pee when she’s in her travel carrier and I believe this probably caused the problem, and she fought that off with critical care and Baytril, but the diarrhea from the antibiotics was severe once again and she was losing weight so quickly that he gave her something to stop the diarrhea and I was again syringe feeding her critical care, water, and clear pedialyte as recommended by my vet.

He told me to watch out for her diet and make sure to limit calcium (spinach is one of her favorite veggies but no gorging on spinach allowed!) and I switched her to adult food at that point since she was around 6 months old and the young oxbow pellets are high in calcium.

She is not losing weight and she is eating all of her food just like she usually does, but there is white crust on her fleece where she has peed. I picked her up this morning and she also has white grit near her urethra. I know this is a sign of too much calcium in her diet, but I’m not sure what could be causing this...

I made sure that she still is peeing (although she might be peeing less than she usually does but I can’t be sure because she is very private when she pees...) She has been drinking a lot more water than she generally does but I thought it might have been due to the warming weather (the room stays around 70 but it’s getting warm outside) but my room is temperature controlled with the heater and AC and since these are automatic that does not make sense when I think about it.

She has constant access to hay and water and gets a small scoop (1/8th ish cup alltogether when both are combined) of oxbow pellets twice a day. She also eats spring mix veggies. I’m not sure what all of the leaves are but I know there’s green and red lettuce and spinach. I’ve been removing the spinach and giving it as only an occasional treat after December. I give her 1-2 oxbow treats per day (generally the apple and banana hearts because those are her favorite.)

Maybe I’m overworring but I really love her and don’t want to see her in pain again. I’m worried she will get a bladder stone or already has something wrong... My vet is no longer anywhere near where I’m living and I have no way to get there so I’ve been trying to get a hold of a new vet but I’ve had no luck so far.

What are the best ways in the mean time to reduce calcium further so that there will be less grit in her bladder?

Is there anything I can do to make sure there is not an immediate problem?

When I’m holding her she does not seem to be in pain and will flatten to a pig pancake like she usually does, but she seems a bit less active which knowing her is concerning since she is a chronic hyperactive happy wiggler except when napping. She is not sneezing or wheezing and has no signs of a uri or any other types of health problems that I know of. She is 10 months old and due to conditions a cannot control, my only pig until I can get my own apartment (hopefully soon.)

Have a read through some of the forum information threads on caring for piggies.
There is one on food which you might find helpful.
Sorry I can’t link it - my tech skills are still in the Stone Age!

If you do have any health concerns about her then go to the vet for a check.
I always do that and would rather be told there’s nothing wrong than ignore a potential problem.
My vet did tell me they would rather see a well piggy with a worried owner than a piggy who was seriously ill that they couldn’t help.

Have a read through some of the forum information threads on caring for piggies.
There is one on food which you might find helpful.
Sorry I can’t link it - my tech skills are still in the Stone Age!

If you do have any health concerns about her then go to the vet for a check.
I always do that and would rather be told there’s nothing wrong than ignore a potential problem.
My vet did tell me they would rather see a well piggy with a worried owner than a piggy who was seriously ill that they couldn’t help.

I have looked through them and I have a feeling I may need a water filter, but at the moment, I am quite out of money to pay for gas even to get somewhere that might sell one although when I get my paycheck I will see if I can get a ride somewhere to buy one.

This is the same problem with my vet. I know he would be willing to save her bill to pay later, but I'm almost 200 miles away from his office now and I can't find a vet where I am living that specializes in guinea pigs. Before she saw him in December I had taken her to a vet where I live now and they had said they could care for her, but when I took her in, they looked at her and told me they didn't know anything about guinea pigs so they couldn't be sure if she was sick or treat her with anything if she was and told me to find an exotic pet vet (which I still have not had luck with.) They also charged me $45 dollars for telling me that they were useless and could not help her. I had to drive to my vet 200 miles away and stay with family, but for multiple reasons we don't have that option now.

I have looked through them and I have a feeling I may need a water filter, but at the moment, I am quite out of money to pay for gas even to get somewhere that might sell one although when I get my paycheck I will see if I can get a ride somewhere to buy one.

This is the same problem with my vet. I know he would be willing to save her bill to pay later, but I'm almost 200 miles away from his office now and I can't find a vet where I am living that specializes in guinea pigs. Before she saw him in December I had taken her to a vet where I live now and they had said they could care for her, but when I took her in, they looked at her and told me they didn't know anything about guinea pigs so they couldn't be sure if she was sick or treat her with anything if she was and told me to find an exotic pet vet (which I still have not had luck with.) They also charged me $45 dollars for telling me that they were useless and could not help her. I had to drive to my vet 200 miles away and stay with family, but for multiple reasons we don't have that option now.

As an addition to my own comment, the water where I live causes calcium deposits on the filter in my betta's tank, so I know it is hard water and needs to be filtered and I'm going to have to figure something out ASAP. It seems as far as I've researched that Brita filters don't remove calcium so I will have to look for a better one.

You are in a rough place.
In the UK I would know where to direct you for practical help but I’m not familiar with the systems in the USA
All I can say is that I am holding you in my thoughts

Back