• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bladder sludge

bless her.. could it be pain meds running out? della seems to get worse just before her pm metacam so figured it was probably that running out! but sometimes has days when its all the way through but like on / off. its so strange!
They do say piggies have a fast metabolism. I thought that but there's been times when she's squeaked within an hour of me giving evening metacam. Though at the moment she normally wakes me up multiple times between 1-5am. But mostly between 2-5. And then it stops even if I don't give her a new metacam dose until 7

I’m glad there are no stones.
I know she is already on glucosamine and painkillers.

These issues tend to come about through genetics, a diet too high or too low in calcium/oxalates and not being a big drinker. Often a combination of them all. Filtering water and limiting pellets being the major factor.

You want a piggy prone to bladder issues to be urinating well to keep the bladder flushing through. It sounds as if her diet could end up being pretty dry if she can’t have leafy veg. I’m guessing the vet is saying that to prevent more sludge.
I know Debbie at TEAS feeds a very wet diet to her piggies and she doesn’t tend to come across bladder problems. I feed a wet diet (I do feed more than the forum recommended one cup of veg) they also get a lot of grass and they also don’t have bladder problems.

I don’t think grass will be a factor.

I’m glad there are no stones.
I know she is already on glucosamine and painkillers.

These issues tend to come about through genetics, a diet too high or too low in calcium/oxalates and not being a big drinker. Often a combination of them all. Filtering water and limiting pellets being the major factor.

You want a piggy prone to bladder issues to be urinating well to keep the bladder flushing through. It sounds as if her diet could end up being pretty dry if she can’t have leafy veg. I’m guessing the vet is saying that to prevent more sludge.
I know Debbie at TEAS feeds a very wet diet to her piggies and she doesn’t tend to come across bladder problems. I feed a wet diet (I do feed more than the forum recommended one cup of veg) they also get a lot of grass and they also don’t have bladder problems.

I don’t think grass will be a factor.

yes so the girls are back home. we have been advised to give baytril until the amount we have runs out, and carry on with the metacam.

yes she doesn’t drink loads to be honest, so maybe thats part of the problem!

yes i think thats why shes asked us to remove leafy greens.. by wet diet, do you mean soaking the veggies in water before feeding, or feeding ‘wet’ veggies? i obviously want to do as instructed by the vet but am interested to hear what everyone else thinks too! we have also been advised for now to cut out the gras (the girls won’t be happy!), i suppose to see if it makes a difference or not? been asked to arrange a call in a weeks time to give our vet an update on how dellas getting on and hopefully then we can reintroduce everything!

They do say piggies have a fast metabolism. I thought that but there's been times when she's squeaked within an hour of me giving evening metacam. Though at the moment she normally wakes me up multiple times between 1-5am. But mostly between 2-5. And then it stops even if I don't give her a new metacam dose until 7

oh bless her! wow her squeaks wake you up? that must be so distressing!

yes so the girls are back home. we have been advised to give baytril until the amount we have runs out, and carry on with the metacam.

yes she doesn’t drink loads to be honest, so maybe thats part of the problem!

yes i think thats why shes asked us to remove leafy greens.. by wet diet, do you mean soaking the veggies in water before feeding, or feeding ‘wet’ veggies? i obviously want to do as instructed by the vet but am interested to hear what everyone else thinks too! we have also been advised for now to cut out the gras (the girls won’t be happy!), i suppose to see if it makes a difference or not? been asked to arrange a call in a weeks time to give our vet an update on how dellas getting on and hopefully then we can reintroduce everything!

No I don’t mean physically wet, i mean fresh foods - veg, grass, fresh forage.

Yes you have to do what the vet says.

oh bless her! wow her squeaks wake you up? that must be so distressing!
Yes she's in my bedroom. It's really not nice. Didn't get to speak to the vet but I have gabapentin at least. I shall email her next week about the injections instead.

I give my Nancy some cucumber three times a day to try and help with water now

No I don’t mean physically wet, i mean fresh foods - veg, grass, fresh forage.

Yes you have to do what the vet says.

hmm okay! i wonder why grass has been advised against then..😢 hopefully it won’t be too long till i can give it to them again, they love it so much!

Yes she's in my bedroom. It's really not nice. Didn't get to speak to the vet but I have gabapentin at least. I shall email her next week about the injections instead.

I give my Nancy some cucumber three times a day to try and help with water now

oh my gosh, the girls are in our room too but della (touch wood) has never woke us! bless her heart they must be so loud!

ooo i might start increasing how much cucumber we give, slowly of course checking for wet poos!

hmm okay! i wonder why grass has been advised against then..😢 hopefully it won’t be too long till i can give it to them again, they love it so much!

You just want to encourage lots of strong urination to keep things moving through and to try to get the sludge out. It seems counter intuitive to take away pretty much all her fresh food, unless it’s in the hope she will drink more. I can see they may want to try to find out if she is reacting to something. I’m not a vet though. I’d give her a good amount of cucumber for its water content.

You just want to encourage lots of strong urination to keep things moving through and to try to get the sludge out. It seems counter intuitive to take away pretty much all her fresh food, unless it’s in the hope she will drink more. I can see they may want to try to find out if she is reacting to something. I’m not a vet though. I’d give her a good amount of cucumber for its water content.

no i’m worried its not the right thing to do😫😫 how many grams of cucumber is safe a day? i normally do 50g of veg each, around 15g of cucumber, the rest pepper.. maybe i can double that over the next few days and see how she is with 30g? maybe spilt into two?

i will definitely question it next week when we have the call, see how she gets on for now under the vets advise.. am really anxious though

It does just seem strange advice particularly when you want sludge to come out! strong and plenty of urinating will help with that

As I said, I feed more veg than recommended, I feed a lot of grass and fresh forage and I feed a lot of hay. I don’t give pellets more than three times a week and we don’t have bladder issues here

It does just seem strange advice particularly when you want sludge to come out! strong and plenty of urinating will help with that

As I said, I feed more veg than recommended, I feed a lot of grass and fresh forage and I feed a lot of hay. I don’t give pellets more than three times a week and we don’t have bladder issues here

oh gosh i’m freaking out now i don’t know what to do😩 i might phone up tomorrow but not sure if she’ll be in?

Back