• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bladder sludge

It just seems strange in nearly 20 years of piggy keeping that I’ve never had any bladder issues, by feeding in this way. My vet says in the wild they’d eat a much wetter diet than we typically feed, as they’d eat a lot of vegetation.

i agree! i’m really stressing

so i’ve decided to follow vets advice today, no grass (hoping one day without wont do harm) and phone up tomorrow and just say i am concerned about dellas water intake and obviously wanting to increase water to help with the sludge, how do i ask if removing leafy greens and grass is definitely the right thing to do without sounding like I'm questioning her?

so i’ve decided to follow vets advice today, no grass (hoping one day without wont do harm) and phone up tomorrow and just say i am concerned about dellas water intake and obviously wanting to increase water to help with the sludge, how do i ask if removing leafy greens and grass is definitely the right thing to do without sounding like I'm questioning her?
Just say you’ve been doing some research and you’ve seen that some vets are suggesting upping the grass and leafy veg/salad intake, with good results. John Chitty talks about it in the webinar. He’s a very well known exotic vet.

Just say you’ve been doing some research and you’ve seen that some vets are suggesting upping the grass and leafy veg/salad intake, with good results. John Chitty talks about it in the webinar. He’s a very well known exotic vet.

thanks so much! will they be okay going without today?

thanks so much! will they be okay going without today?
Yes, if you feel more comfortable waiting until you’ve spoken to your vet. Also, animals are very good at picking up on our anxiety and stress can play a big part in bladder issues, so try and walk away from the cage and find something else to do, to try and reduce your stress levels xx

Yes, if you feel more comfortable waiting until you’ve spoken to your vet. Also, animals are very good at picking up on our anxiety and stress can play a big part in bladder issues, so try and walk away from the cage and find something else to do, to try and reduce your stress levels xx

thankyou, i just don’t want to go against her word, currently listening to this webinar by john chitty.. i feel like a monster, i thought bringing them in was better but now i feel like everything i’ve done for my babies is wrong😭😭😭😭 i know i feel like my anxiety is causing dellas problems and i feel like such a bad mummy to them i dont know what to do anymore😭

thankyou, i just don’t want to go against her word, currently listening to this webinar by john chitty.. i feel like a monster, i thought bringing them in was better but now i feel like everything i’ve done for my babies is wrong😭😭😭😭 i know i feel like my anxiety is causing dellas problems and i feel like such a bad mummy to them i dont know what to do anymore😭
You’re a very caring owner trying to do right by your little ones! Please don’t doubt yourself! John Chitty explains how to best keep piggies indoors! xx

vet has suggested to cut out leafy greens,
I think this might be a bit of a misunderstanding...
Lots of vets will give advice for a piggy with bladder issues but I think he perhaps meant dark green leafy veg like kale and spinach. This is very common vet advice - these dark veg are among the highest in calcium. I don't really see how grass - which is essentially hay with added water - is going to be a problem. Or lettuce - again essentially water. I've not been advised to avoid these before. If she's an IC piggy I don't know if they're looking at trigger foods (not something I know about) but I bet it was just the dark green veg and he maybe forgot to specify. I bet if you phone or mail them that's what they'll say.

You’re a very caring owner trying to do right by your little ones! Please don’t doubt yourself! John Chitty explains how to best keep piggies indoors! xx

i honestly feel awful, i love my girls so much but i am now questioning everything i have ever done for them.. i honestly feel soso bad, i haven’t got to that bit yet i don’t think, i’m going to follow everything he says, i just want whats best for my babies!

I think this might be a bit of a misunderstanding...
Lots of vets will give advice for a piggy with bladder issues but I think he perhaps meant dark green leafy veg like kale and spinach. This is very common vet advice - these dark veg are among the highest in calcium. I don't really see how grass - which is essentially hay with added water - is going to be a problem. Or lettuce - again essentially water. I've not been advised to avoid these before. If she's an IC piggy I don't know if they're looking at trigger foods (not something I know about) but I bet it was just the dark green veg and he maybe forgot to specify. I bet if you phone or mail them that's what they'll say.

going to phone up tomorrow and ask! i thought it may be what you say about trigger foods as nothing else seems to be working!

oh my gosh, the girls are in our room too but della (touch wood) has never woke us! bless her heart they must be so loud!

ooo i might start increasing how much cucumber we give, slowly of course checking for wet poos!
It is really upsetting. I didn't get a chance to speak to the vet this afternoon, annoyed with myself for not remembering to ask about cartophen this morning while I was there. But I have the gabapentin. I'm going to email my vet start of next week to ask about the injections.

In regards to the grass/leafy veg. I do think it's about trigger foods. I've read (can't remember where mind) that for some pigs grass and leafy veg can make IC worse.

Back