• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bladder stone op recovery

Ellen Cookie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ralph my 6 year old guinea pig had surgery to remove a bladder stone yesterday. It was quite a mission of an operation as it wasn't in the bladder itself but in the urethra. He came through and stayed at the vets overnight for monitoring.

He's been home since 11.45am and has pooed and weed, and had some metacam at 1.30pm. It's now 5.30pm here on England. Aside from some small bits of lettuce and cucumber he hasn't eaten since being at home. He's spent most of his time in his bed/cosy cave, and hasn't ventured out. I realise he's been through a massive trauma with the op, but does this behaviour sound normal for this stage of recovery? What should I do now to help him?

Ralph my 6 year old guinea pig had surgery to remove a bladder stone yesterday. It was quite a mission of an operation as it wasn't in the bladder itself but in the urethra. He came through and stayed at the vets overnight for monitoring.

He's been home since 11.45am and has pooed and weed, and had some metacam at 1.30pm. It's now 5.30pm here on England. Aside from some small bits of lettuce and cucumber he hasn't eaten since being at home. He's spent most of his time in his bed/cosy cave, and hasn't ventured out. I realise he's been through a massive trauma with the op, but does this behaviour sound normal for this stage of recovery? What should I do now to help him?

Hi!
I would recommend that you step in with syringe feeding and watering support, as much as he will take, about every 2 hours in the day and once or twice during the night. It is a good sign that he is at least nibbling.

Please follow the advice in these guides here:
Tips For Post-operative Care
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment (includes improvisation tips if you haven't got any recovery food at home)

All the best! Unfortunately a stone removal from boar urethra is always a taxing operation as they have a narrower and longer urethra than sows that comes with an awkward inglenook where boar stones usually fetch and can be very difficult to remove from.

Fingers very firmly crossed!

It sounds like my boar when he had his stone out. As above I recommend syringe feeding as much as you can, and put any hay and some pellets close to him so he doesn't have to move. My boar was much better about 24-36 hours after the op and no longer required more syringe feed. Fingers crossed for you

Is it usual for a piggy to still have red pee three, nearly four days after surgery? Ralph has just done a wee and it stained the fleece a burgundy/dark pink colour.

Is it usual for a piggy to still have red pee three, nearly four days after surgery? Ralph has just done a wee and it stained the fleece a burgundy/dark pink colour.

Hi! I would recommend to contact the vet. It is possible that there could be either bladder trauma or a developing cystitis.

He's booked in for a post-op check up tomorrow at 4.15pm, should I call the emergency vet tonight or will it be okay to wait until the appointment?

He's booked in for a post-op check up tomorrow at 4.15pm, should I call the emergency vet tonight or will it be okay to wait until the appointment?

As long as he is OK in himself, eating and bright, you can wait until the scheduled appointment.
See a vet as an emergency if he is suddenly looking very off, won't eat and is lethargic.

As long as he is OK in himself, eating and bright, you can wait until the scheduled appointment.
See a vet as an emergency if he is suddenly looking very off, won't eat and is lethargic.

All the best! I hope that it goes well this afternoon!

Thanks very much. To be honest I looked again at the patch of wee again later and it had dried clear with a very pale yellow centre and today there's been clear wees so I think my eyes were playing tricks! I'm very keen to see what the vet says about Ralph's progress later. Your support is really appreciated at this stressful time 🙂 🐾

Thanks very much. To be honest I looked again at the patch of wee again later and it had dried clear with a very pale yellow centre and today there's been clear wees so I think my eyes were playing tricks! I'm very keen to see what the vet says about Ralph's progress later. Your support is really appreciated at this stressful time 🙂 🐾

Let's hope that it was just a temporary problem.

Please be aware that at the start of a cystitis symptoms are not consistent so you get a mix of coloured and clear pees, which both may or may not test high for blood, and for the squeaking when peeing (but not with every pee, either) to develop over on average 5-7 days. It is not an uncommon complication after a bladder stone that is banging into and scraping the bladder walls with every pee.

If it turns out that this is the case, we can help you with the home care side of it as it can be managed, even a non-bacterial cystitits. :tu:

Let's hope that it was just a temporary problem.

Please be aware that at the start of a cystitis symptoms are not consistent so you get a mix of coloured and clear pees, which both may or may not test high for blood, and for the squeaking when peeing (but not with every pee, either) to develop over on average 5-7 days. It is not an uncommon complication after a bladder stone that is banging into and scraping the bladder walls with every pee.

If it turns out that this is the case, we can help you with the home care side of it as it can be managed, even a non-bacterial cystitits. :tu:
Thanks! 🐾🐾

@Ellen Cookie just wondering how he is now? My Buddy had bladder stone removal surgery on Wednesday with the stone in the urethra too, curious to see how your little guy is getting on?

He's doing really well, thanks - eating well, lively and more talkative than ever. He's putting weight back on (at his smallest around the op he was 885g and he's now 985g nearly three weeks later) - will be even happier when he's back over the 1kg mark!

On talking further to my vet I got it wrong, it was lodged in the ureter rather than the urethra, bless him.

I was recommended some Oxbow urinary support biscuits by my vet but Ralph's not a fan so I am looking for other options to help prevent the build up which leads to stones - cystease/Cystaid are names I've heard bit would welcome recommendations.

How is Buddy doing?

He's doing really well, thanks - eating well, lively and more talkative than ever. He's putting weight back on (at his smallest around the op he was 885g and he's now 985g nearly three weeks later) - will be even happier when he's back over the 1kg mark!

On talking further to my vet I got it wrong, it was lodged in the ureter rather than the urethra, bless him.

I was recommended some Oxbow urinary support biscuits by my vet but Ralph's not a fan so I am looking for other options to help prevent the build up which leads to stones - cystease/Cystaid are names I've heard bit would welcome recommendations.

How is Buddy doing?
My RB piggy Rupert (avatar pic) had a bladder stone actually stuck in his urethra years ago and had emergency surgery, from then on he had daily cystease which is highly recommended by lots of us on the forum with bladder piggies :) So glad your lad’s doing ok, great weight gain for him, he must be feeling much better! :D

My RB piggy Rupert (avatar pic) had a bladder stone actually stuck in his urethra years ago and had emergency surgery, from then on he had daily cystease which is highly recommended by lots of us on the forum with bladder piggies :) So glad your lad’s doing ok, great weight gain for him, he must be feeling much better! :D
Excellent, then I'll go with the cystease, thanks ☺️ He's a little sweetheart so am really relieved he's made it this far.

It's ok to use cystease long term isn't it?

Thanks. Love your pigture of Rupert ❤🐾
Aw thank you, he was a beauty :love:
Nearly 7 when I lost him last May, he had another stone about 8 months(?) after his original huge one but it was tiny and small enough for him to pass, really think the Cystease helped with that tbh!
C7C16E20-6D3C-4EEF-9865-E52D4A8D2D0F.jpegHe was an extra special boy!

Any pics of Ralph? :D

Back