• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Blood Drawn Again Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guineapigfeet

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This morning BB bit me just after I finished her nails. She was sat in my arms and bit my finger. It only bled a tiny bit and stopped as soon as it started. She hates nail clipping and we all find it stressful. Easily forgiven.

Later I had them all out on my knee. As usual they were all over the place and I was trying to keep them reasonably contained. Not interested in the food I was offering. After a few minutes they started to settle down and BB and Rey were licking my hands and wrists. Rey had a little grooming session and they all seemed to be chilling out and then Chewie bit my hand and didn't immediately let go. I had to get OH to evacuate my lap so I could go stop the bleeding. I don't really understand why she did it. I don't know if it was exploratory or intended and if it was intended, I don't want to teach them that if they bite me they'll get put away, because they might start biting me when ever they're out. Feeling a bit down and confused and hurty!

Chewie was a little monster again this morning :( nearly ripped a hole in my t-shirt and kept going for my fingers. I think I ended up hurting her a bit trying to keep hold of her and trying to get my hands out the way of her face :( ended up just putting her down.

Not feeling very well disposed towards her at the moment and that's upsetting. And I don't want to handle her more because I don't want to get bitten like that again. :-( not a good weekend

Is there any chance that she might have mites? They really don't like being handled when they're feeling itchy.

The bite that drew blood yesterday was possibly because your hand smelled like food. They don't have good eye sight so something that smells like food is food to them.

Try interacting with her when she's still in her cage. Let her get used to your hand being around. Offer her food in the cage.

When you have to pick her up catch her in a tube or hidey and then put her in a towel or bed so her teeth aren't close to you.

She doesn't have mites and she's never been all that keen on being stroked on her sides or back, but she's always been fine just sat on my lap or in my arms.
I do hand feed them all in their enclosure and Chewie is the only one that I can stroke at all when they're in there.

When she bit me she probably did think my hand was food, I had been trying to feed them on my lap but they weren't interested.

I always tube them to pick them up as I'd never catch them otherwise but I don't usually use a towel to hold them - I might try that with Chewie.

:D Good luck!

Hopefully you find a good combination for you both so you both are comfortable.

My boyfriend is a bit wary of one of our pigs so he has him in a towel when he's sitting on his lap.

I had a rescue pig who wouldn't let you touch his feet. He immediately bit you if you tried. We learned to avoid them. The rescue he came from didn't have a good record and we think they must have handled him poorly as a youngster to cause his nipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back