• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lucettacole

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, this is my second post today as it seems my fur babies are determined to pute through the ringer. But I recently acquired a couple of females who, until now, have seemed very healthy. Even so, they've been in quarantine for the past couple of weeks before being introduced to the others. However, today during floor time I found that one of my guineas had done this:IMG_20180606_183326.jpg
I'm not sure which one of my girls passed this and I'm not sure what it would mean. The girls have full run of my room during floor time and I sweep immediately before and after, unplugging and putting up any cords they could reach. Astraea, the older of the two has been ing very calcium rich urine, however this is probably due to her diet while at the pet store, as I'm very careful with the amount of calcium in the foodningive them. The vet is closed for the night and any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, and since I forgot to mention this, they're both acting normal so far but they're also new to the home and environment. This is the first sample iv found and it may not last.

Usually any blood in urine is a sign of a UTI so when the vet is open I would take them along and get antibiotics to help clear it up. You could have laptime on a white towel and syringe a little water to encourage them to wee. That might help find out who did it (I remember doing this once when I didn't know who out of 3 girls had done it)

Ok. I'll try that. Its been quite th e trying night and I'm grateful for the advice you've given. Thank you

Ok. I'll try that. Its been quite th e trying night and I'm grateful for the advice you've given. Thank you

Take a deep breath and try to relax. The fact there has been no behavioural changes or outward signs of pain means it can't be all that bad for them though they will pick the worst moments to get ill (usually 5 mins after the vets close or bank holiday weekends)

No joke. They managed to pick the day one of my other piggies died. Took them to the vet. Not particularly concerned that they're in grave danger just want to make sure any problems get cleared up before I introduce them to their new cage mate whos partner was the one who passed.

Though, reading back on that post it does sound kinda scared. Chalk it up to stress I guess.

Though, reading back on that post it does sound kinda scared. Chalk it up to stress I guess.

It's definitely no joke. I ended up at the vets one Christmas even when an abscess ballooned on the side of the face one of mine! I had to rush there as they closed at lunch and weren't going to open for several days

Back