• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's really helpful thanks!
I have a boar trio and recently one of my boars seem to bully the youngest one. He doesn't prevent him from eating or anything but he teeth chatters a lot at him and tries to nip him when he gets close. The victim doesn't do anything, he is pretty peaceful and never attacked anyone... I'm getting worried, I'm afraid I'll have to separate them... The one who bullies is getting through his teenage months so I'm thinking it will probably not last... I'm quite lost here...

Thank you, and welcome to the forum too!

If the little one is getting out of his way and not becoming aggressive back then it should be okay. Have you put a few more hideys down/ can you make the living area larger?

And during veggie time scatter the veggies out, so one doesn't hog everything too.

How old are all the boys together? Have you tried a bonding bath?

This should be made a sticky - its fantastic

I agree boars are awesome - my two baby boars are so loving and affectionate I'm overwhelmed how loving they are drooldrool

THank youuuu, and i love boars...i think I'm abit obsessed with them :x

Have you ask a mod to sticky it?

No....i shall go find a mod now....:))

No problems, will get round to contacted a mod this week :)

This thread is so useful to me, thank you for all the info you provided! I am soon to be the proud owner of 2 handsome boar brothers who were born in a rescue. They are 6 months old so going through the hormonal stage!

Great guide, I will have to follow this if I can eventually bond Mojo and smudgy

This will help since this is my first time owning two boys.:) I planned on trying the buddy bath we shall see how it goes

Ive been introducting my piggies for 5 days in a row now. First time was good, but then it went badly.. Today they fought a little and I separated them.. I think I will leave them be for a few days and try the bonding bath...

Please be aware that every single time you separate the boars, you force them to start right back at the beginning and go through the whole dominance protocol again. It's like crashing their computer without saving any data. The boars often get fed up with that and become hostile. Be aware that you will need to sit through any mild and medium dominance behaviours and only separate when the humping is truly relentless and winding up one boar or if their are signs of an impending fight. Please also accept that a successful piggy bond is based on mutual liking and character compatibility, and this is often doesn't happen. Piggies of both genders can be cery picky about who they gel with.

Please have a look at our introductions thread: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/faq-introducing-and-reintroducing-guinea-pigs.38562/
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-simple-dominance-displays-or-fighting.28949/
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boar-dating-service-wales.59233/ (contains videos and lots of practical tips)

We would be grateful if you opened your own thread in this section. The "start thread" is on the right side at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back