Bonding Three Sows?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea-pigGaga

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am currently debating whether to attempt to bond three sows - A single sow, and a pair!

However, the single sow is 'emotionally, physically, and psychologically sound'. . . On the other hand, the pair of sows have behavioural issues - One is quite aggressive/dominant, and the other is extremely nervous/timid. . .

Of course, I would hate for any harm to come to either the single sow, or the extremely nervous/timid sow. . . The aggressive/dominate sow can be quite challenging/temperamental!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Guinea-pigGaga

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The single sow has lived next to the pair of sows for the last several months, since losing her companion - I have noticed that, in recent weeks, the aggressive/dominant sow has calmed down somewhat. . . Hence, the reason as to why I have decided to give serious consideration to bonding the three together. . . But I still have reservations. . .

I feel that the single sow, and the nervous/timid sow would make a great pair, and have considered separating the pair of sows. . . But I fear that the aggressive/dominant sow would not accept another sow (I have considered adopting a neutered boar, to bond with the aggressive/dominant sow, but I am not sure she would accept a boar either)!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
As you have got all three girls, it is certainly worth to give it a try and see how they work out.

if you are thinking about pairing up your dominant girl with a neutered boar, I would strongly advise to date her at a rescue that has ideally more than one neutered boar in, so you can see whether you can find a match that way without ending up with a potential fail.

Guinea-pigGaga

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Regrettably, I feel that the aggressive/dominant sow is very much a solitary guinea pig - I feel that she will tolerant her companion, as her companion is very submissive. . .

I fear size could be an issue - The single sow is somewhat larger than the aggressive/dominant sow, who has a history of attempting to dominant larger sows?!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have got strong reservations and your current couple is working, why not setting abut finding your single sow a suitable new companion, either sow or neutered boar?

Guinea-pigGaga

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have contacted a rescue about one of their sows. . . However, the rescue is currently undecided whether they will offer the sow for adoption, or keep her as a permanent resident. . .

If I were to opt for adopting another guinea pig, I would prefer to adopt a single older sow. For example, an ex-breeding/retired sow.

However, while I would like for each of my guinea pigs to have companionship, I would rather not increase my numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.